Project VRS - July 2016 - ?

jronnquist

On 08/08/2017 at 09:22, Paul172sport said:

Hi is the front splitter the superskoda one?

How did you find the fit and finish?

It is, yes. The fit isn't bad at all and and it's very rigid once on. I managed to crack it last week on a curb so had to fibreglass back to health and now having it colour-coded by a paint shop. I'll put some close-ups on here for you once it's back. 

• 1 month later...

Update.....

Currently working on colour-coding the inner section of the engine mount. There's a black Skoda logo insert that fits over the VW symbol, which will go back in when it's painted. I cut out the raised TDI lettering, fiber-glassed the back and filled in the front. I just couldn't see any nice way to fill the letters back in when done. Will post more pics when it's done. 

c89a58327ae6c282f26beabe5abfa12c.jpg

• 1 month later...

So I had the car remapped by Avon Tuning up in Bristol a few weeks ago and so far it looks like they've done a good job. Read quite a bit of discussion on here about the "tune-ability" of the PD170. Many say that it runs quite rough and the increase in torque makes the car hard to handle in the wet. Well, the PD170 is not a particularly smooth engine to begin with, but then I knew that when I bought it. And adding another 30 BHP has obviously not helped in that regard. But it is what it is. And yes, I now have to be a little more careful popping the clutch when it's raining. But this was no less of an issue with 170 BHP. I honestly don't know of any front-wheel-drive car in this power range that wouldn't spin out on a wet road if you weren't cautious, regardless of tires or suspension setup. Personally I quite like the wheel spin now and then. If you know what you're doing and know how far you can go without loosing the car entirely, you're only real concern is accelerated tire wear.   

As for the tune, so far the car hasn't skipped a beat. The only real difference I have noticed is that I no longer have to put up with those pesky GTDs inching ahead of me in an "off-the-line" drag, and that's all I was really hoping for. 

Edited by jronnquist

• 3 weeks later...

So the BF Goodrich G-Grips are turning out to be a pretty lousy tire.  Just had the front two replaced and the rears will soon follow. During the replacement I noticed the front lower arm bushes were on their way out. Having already decided to use only poly bushes from now on, I did some hunting and settled on the Racingline replacement kit that comes with the front bushes as well. 

92cc3b1d1ff2cfc2c21ba240a501b146.png

I'm obviously going to need a full alignment after this. Anyone know of a good place near Southampton where I can get this done?

Next project: Whiteline rear sway bar install.