1.6 auto petrol estate / v combi owners ..

Just checking to see if there are many 1.6 petrol auto Mk2 owners on here . What do you  like / dislike about this  particular car. Does this estate have a rear anti roll bar ...if not is it a  beneficial mod . Even with  the low profile tyres I find the 16" wheels still don't eliminate body roll.   Current tyres are good condition but Budget brand ....I want to stick to 16 wheels   but  decent brand  ideas  would be welcome ...

Edited by SlushBox

Hello SlushBox,

Yes, I have the Estate 1.6 16v Tiptronic. Mine's a late 2009 model in immaculate condition. The spec I have is a level '2' with 15" alloys. I've had this one for 4 years and previously another Mk2 Fabia Estate diesel. I love the space and carry just about everything under the sun in the back when I have to, including motorcycle engines which can be quite weighty, so I protect the floor. It does not have a rear anti-roll bar but has rear disc brakes. Body roll is not bad and I drive enthusiastically. The gearbox is fine for a 6 speed and it's pretty lively considering. Fuel economy is fair but not brilliant around town. The new breed of turbo charged petrol engines are superior in this respect and pick up a bit quicker too. On a run I get 50+mpg but this drops to 46mpg on a run with four in at 70mph (320 mile run on motorways). The biggest bugbear is road tax which is a massive cost compared to my Skoda Fabia Estate diesel that I had previously. I've found Hankook tyres are brillaint and a good alrounder. I went for the quiet one's listed on their website. Don't know if that helps any...

The engine and gearbox are pretty solid. They're simple and generally don't have any reliability problems if looked after.

As with any auto gearbox I would change the oil around 90k miles. VAG say they are "sealed for life" which is rubbish! Especially in a torque converter where that oil is used to lubricate the gears as well as used in the torque converter itself where is is heated significantly.

Just looked up the road tax. £230!? My Octavia 1.9 DSG is £180 and the Saab 1.9 TTID auto is £220. That's very expensive.