'Bee Sting' aerial/General update

JJBaxter

Hi all, 

After a few months of ownership, the old Fabia is approaching 5000 miles under my ownership (coming up for 167k). In this time, it's had a full engine service (plugs, filters and oil) and the replacement of the timing chain cover gasket - a total piece of work to replace! 

After that, I waited until my next pay day to iron out the ridiculous pull to the left of the steering, which turned out to be a snapped drop link and a worn console bush. Following their replacement and wheel alignment, it's mostly gone. 

Other things that I've done:

- New Skoda badges

- New numberplate

- New roof bars

- Replacement of Head Unit and Speakers (the most effective change!) 

- New roof box

However, having added the roof box, I noted that my already worn out aerial was split at the rubber, and it reminded me that the radio reception isn't all that great. I'm using a Kenwood unit and a stock aerial, so I'm just wondering if there's a decent 'bee sting' type aerial that's known to be good, and if there's something I can do about the dire radio reception? 

Thanks!

Edited by JJBaxter

Hi Adam, 

I didn't, as the reception at the time seemed pretty good. The core reason for wanting to replace it with the bee sting is that my roof box bends the standard aerial almost 90 degrees, so I figured a bee sting would be the ideal compromise. 

Thanks, 

Jordan

You probably need a signal booster because the standard unit has one built in I believe.

If you get a booster and a bee sting aerial you'll get decent reception but might loose some signal in built up areas.

Hi Jordan. I replaced our OEM aerial for a Bee Sting type, 6 years ago, as the OEM used to catch on our garage door.

In the 6 years we have had it I have noticed no deterioration in FM signal whatsoever! On occasions when we have travelled far and wide in areas of poor reception. I have tried switching back to the original to see if there was ANY difference between the two. No difference at all! Our Bee Sting was an eb@y cheepo [£3] and has certainly stood the test of times as far as FM reception and durability. And no, I did not fit a booster............Tony

PS: Are you aware that some [if not all?] Skoda's are fitted with two aerials. Normally one external and one concealed, for use in "Diversity" mode - Just thought I should mention it in case it helps someone.

Edited by Great Yeti

Hi Jordan. I replaced our OEM aerial for a Bee Sting type, 6 years ago, as the OEM used to catch on our garage door.

In the 6 years we have had it I have noticed no deterioration in FM signal whatsoever! On occasions when we have travelled far and wide in areas of poor reception. I have tried switching back to the original to see if there was ANY difference between the two. No difference at all! Our Bee Sting was an eb@y cheepo [£3] and has certainly stood the test of times as far as FM reception and durability. And no, I did not fit a booster............Tony

PS: Are you aware that some [if not all?] Skoda's are fitted with two aerials. Normally one external and one concealed, for use in "Diversity" mode - Just thought I should mention it in case it helps someone.

Do you drive a yeti? I think they have a booster built into the aerial Base. But I could be wrong.

Do you drive a yeti? I think they have a booster built into the aerial Base. But I could be wrong.

Hi Adam.

Yes, our car is a Yeti and as to the booster being built in; I believe that only those yeti's fitted with the OEM Navigation systems have a booster [ie: Shark Fin Aerials etc]. As far as I am aware the standard Radio's [bolero and Sting] do not have an aerial booster / amplifier in the aerial base. The Diversity aerial however, maybe a different matter. It would not surprise me to find something in that circuit .......................Tony

Edited by Great Yeti