Had a problem with my car the other day and found out something I didn't know existed that was causing me quite a few problems!

CR170 Octy VRS 2009

The car 'Had' lumpy idle, flat spots and wasn't as economic as it was previously.

It turns out there is a small valve in the head of the fuel filter housing, totally mechanical, once the housing was replaced the car felt like new again! I'd have never known it was there so just a tip for others to look out for.

Simple test, if your cars got these symptoms then put a kink in the pipe that returns to the fuel tank, if the lumpy feeling clears this 'could' be your culprit!

The problem is that the valve gets stuck and too much fuel returns to the tank starving the engine of fuel. Mine had total power cut of you tried to even build the revs up in the end so was an even easier test as the engine no longer cut out.

The units simple to spit, it's in front of the windscreen washer bottle at the front left of your engine bay and has four pipes running in and out.

These are to and from tank, and to and from engine, obviously don't kink them too hard or for too long, but a useful and free test to make before spending out hundreds on other items it could be!