Brakes query

Do the pads give an audible indication (squeal) when they are down to needing changed? there is now a band of about 10mm of rust round the outer edge of my discs where the pad is no longer in contact and it looks like grooves are starting to appear in the disc (will need discs too). Just wondering do I go ahead and change pads and brakes now, or wait till I hear squealing. I thought there was a metal strip of some sort embedded in pads near the end to let you know. 

Also, does anyone know what size of discs are on a 2010 1.6 CR TDI (rear)? I am looking on Euro Car Parts and they have 2 different sizes available for my car.

Thanks

Take the disc(s) off and remove rust.

Wearing eye protection, tap around the disc with a small hammer and you'll find the rust just falls off in chunks and flakes.

Don't be shy, dark bands will crumble away and you can use a large screwdriver to clear out the vents.

Once the worst is off dress it with sandpaper to remove rough edges and give a reasonably smooth surface.

Give the caliper a good clean including inside the rubber parts the guide pins fit in, lube the guide pins with silicone grease and the pad sliding surfaces with copper grease.

Put everything back together and brake gently until the pads bed in again.

What you've described is symptomatic of sticking calipers where the assembly twists on brake application causing uneven pressure instead of sliding smoothly and allowing the pads to press squarely and evenly on the disc.

Assuming the pads and discs are within wear limits and can be refurbished you can restore operation with a couple of hours work.

Whilst I do not disagree with the above at all, if you plan on keeping the car for a good while and can afford it, new discs and pads would not be a bad investment if you suspect they will not last much longer.

The grooves can, I believe, fail an mot if they are deemed bad enough. And so the rust. (I may be incorrect????). Any mot testers????

A good strip and clean though is not a bad place to start if you know what you are doing, and this will give you an accurate indication of the pad's condition.

Mine have wear indicators but not sure about yours.

• Like 1