Casting custom doughnut bushes

lewist123

I think my doughnut bushes need renewing on my Estelle. The inner metal inserts are starting to part with the rubber.  Whilst I am sure that new ones are available (Skoparts most likely) would it be possible to re-cast the rubber using a two part polyurethane kit?

70 shore hardness kits are available off ebay for a tenner. Do you think it would be possible to cut out the old rubber, make a suitable damn and then recast with new poly? I have a few sets of old trailing arms that I could take the bushes off and recondition.

I kind of like the idea as I have a set of uprated front wishbone bushes and uprating the rear seams like a suitable complimentary modification.

Thanks

Lewis

Speedpro have them in for 31 euros each......postage would be another 10-15 I suspect but they are at least a reliable seller. They also sell a hardened rear donut but they disintegrate the same as standard ones - rubber splits from metal. I will let you know when I get Snotty back with the new suspension on. The ones on Smotty have been on for about 3 years and there is nothing wrong with them

Just buy a set of 'Uniballs' and get rid of the rubber altogether. For about £70 you can get a giant set of rose joints that replace the rear rubber bushes and last forever.....I've been running them on my racecar for many year..........

Won't they be very harsh on a road car?

Won't they be very harsh on a road car?

Snotty is a race car that's road legal so it's not a massive concern, however it isn't that bad.......the suspension still has full movement there is slightly less damping. On broken road surfaces you can hear the suspension tapping (not enough to be described as knocking).....but that's about it, and Snotty has had a lot of the soundproofing removed. On a standard car it would not be noticeable.