Octavia 1.0 SE Estate

10 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

Citigo's have 35 litres tanks and fuel up the pipe unless built in South America and VW UP! with 50 litre tanks.

Sorry I read the thread a while back and quoted my Echo's tank size by mistake.

Makes the returns even more impressive.

2 hours ago, mso1000 said:

Good returns.

A well designed 3 cylinder motor will obviously have lower frictional losses than a 4 cylinder and that's a permanent feature also less mass so warms up quicker

Real-life returns for it on this thread are proving to be excellent

Ford's 3 cylinder version does not get such good real life consumption reports although they go well enough.

The Australian market is currently all about SUVs and 'chest-beating' big engine and high performance cars which are ridiculous considering most urban based car don't go on even dirt roads and our highways are limited to 100 or 110 kph (130 kph in the Northern Territory). 

The run here seems to have averaged 4.3l/100. That translates to 65mpg. Three up, light load, 23c out 22 in. 

I am reasonably impressed. Average speed was 72km/h.

Homeward should be faster, but 80-100 seems to hover between 4.3 and 4.4, so only the short 120km/h section will do those numbers in.... probable tank average is under 5, including the trip back from Helsinki.

- Bret 

• Like 1

.. and the return run was poorer. Rain, Wind, and lots of standing water screwed things up, but still, with an average of >80km/h, it's reading 4.9l/100. Tank average is also below 5. That's 57mpg. 

- Bret

Edited by brettikivi

.. and this week's patrol of the 4 means I've just refilled again. Cruise set to 12x most of the time and it's an average of 5.8 / 48mpg, despite massive traffic one night and heavy three times. 

Implication is that the difference between 120km/h and 80-100 is significant, around 0.7l/100. If I were to be longer at 80, I'd be closer to 4 than 5... but 5 isn't bad at all. 

- Bret

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

half way through the eastern trip and we're at a half tank after >500km. average is - according to the computer - below 4.6l/100.

I decided to jump the gun and fill it today but forgot to take the details, will have to check on the statement. Was headed for close to 1000km on one tank without any problems. We've just added some kms running around Savo and Karelia, so I refilled.  Will check again when home, there's no 120km/h between here and there, and it will have been nearly 500kms by then... I'm sure we're well below 5 on the tank average and I'm sure it will have brought the long term average back to towards a flat 5, too.

Much quieter when the boot's full.

- Bret

• 1 month later...

Hi,

A week ago I traded in my Audi A4 Avant Tdi-e (136hk) - 2011 for a brand new Octavia estate 1.0 TSI with webasto, Bolero stereo and so on.

Was impressed after test driving it, feels Quick for its motor size and quite cheaper than the Audi in owner costs like warranty and more.

Feels like a good car for me since I mostly do shorter trips with my family.

Looking forward to exchange experience on it here.

• Like 1

Just completed a family holiday to the Black Forest. Did not miss a beat. Fully loaded including a roof box. Almost 2500kms. And 51mpg for the total trip. Very good all round. 

The seat just doesn't work for me. Cannot get comfortable after 90mins..

Edited by rothair
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, rothair said:

Just completed a family holiday to the Black Forest. Did not miss a beat. Fully loaded including a roof box. Almost 2500kms. And 51mpg for the total trip. Very good all round. 

The seat just doesn't work for me. Cannot get comfortable after 90mins..

Shows the engine is more than adequate to get returns like that with a fully loaded vehicle AND roof box. Even the aero roof boxes make a substantial increase to drag.

I also had real problems with a sore back after the first few long journeys in the Mk3 (mine does not have lumbar support adjustment) and had to resort to a pillow but my back eventually got used to it over a time and I no longer have issues.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

currently patrolling the motorway from Lahti to Helsinki every day. Ambient around zero, lights on in both directions, and yet I have an average on the computer of 4.9l/100. That's around 57mpg....

- Bret

• Like 1

Have done 1500 km in a 1.0 tsi Combi  6 speed. Mostly country roads bit of urban but am driving very gently keeping revs down. My concern is that in  3 tank fills I am consistently getting 42 mpg. I am calculating from actual petrol fill and not the car computer but the car data matches my calculations.

Edited by donmc
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, donmc said:

Have done 1500 km in a 1.0 tsi Combi  6 speed. Mostly country roads bit of urban but am driving very gently keeping revs down. My concern is that in  in 3 tank fills I am getting consistently getting 42 mpg.

Does not sound right but 42mpg could actually be quite good depending on the circumstances.

More information would be useful.

What part of the country are you (or which country even), for type of terrain?  I was driving a hire car diesel last month getting 60++mpg on the open highway and less than 50mpg on the byways and hills of Devon and Cornwall

What sort of journeys are you doing, average distance, speed? Our car does far too many very short journeys where we would be lucky to average 35mpg

Your driving technique may not suit the engine characteristics, so for instance what is your definition of low revs?

What was your previous vehicle and did you get good economy from it? It took a while for me to transition from an old school 1.9pd diesel to a modern small turbo petrol engine and get the best return. Similarly that hire diesel had totally different characteristics and gearing to my previous diesel and had to be driven with more revs and a lot more gear changes to get good performance and best economy from it.

this one has improved markedly over the last 20k kms. It started with nearly 6l/100 at 100km/h and this morning's number was 4.4. That's nearly 64mpg. Solid indicated 110km/h, too, and traffic in Helsinki.

A little time is necessary. And driving with a gentle right foot is *not* the way to get serious numbers. Change early, full throttle or close to it - minimize the time with the throttle open. Should be able to change at 2-2500 rpm and drop back into the power band every time. Surf that torque wave! :D

Current for me is 350km range, 680 done, I figure we need to fill Friday morning. That will be nearly 900kms and then it'll be the same pump as before, so... my bets are on around 40l going in at that point. It's also been *cold*, the aux heater is on every morning, and it's currently around -7 outside. 

- Bret

20 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

More information would be useful.

In Ireland mostly 8 to 15 km runs on mixed 50 to 80 kph roads.No major hills. I opted for petrol engine because of the short runs.

I'm keeping revs down to between 1500-2000 for first 1500km to run in the engine. Maybe I am nursing the Car excessively?

I previously was getting 40mpg from a 13 year old 1.4 Toyota Vvti petrol engine. Hence my disappointment to get 42mpg.

20 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

2 hours ago, donmc said:

In Ireland mostly 8 to 15 km runs on mixed 50 to 80 kph roads.No major hills. I opted for petrol engine because of the short runs.

I'm keeping revs down to between 1500-2000 for first 1500km to run in the engine. Maybe I am nursing the Car excessively?

I previously was getting 40mpg from a 13 year old 1.4 Toyota Vvti petrol engine. Hence my disappointment to get 42mpg.

I agree you should be getting somewhere between 50 to 60mpg for those sort of distances and speeds especially if you were getting 40mpg from the Toyota.

The sort of 'running in' revs you describe were for those days when you had your Morris 1000 rebored and you had to put the sticker declaring it in the rear window :)

These days the advice is to drive normally but avoid going over 4k rpm too often especially if the engine is not fully warmed

I'm inclined to think you will benefit from lifting your rev range a bit but others more familiar with the unit will confirm that.

You can certainly experiment more yourself with the display set to 'instant' consumption and see what combination of revs versus throttle gets the best return. That should get you into the 50mpg (5.6L/100) average range. 

Further improvements will probably depend on you changing you driving techniques and having to anticipate traffic further up the road. 

If the 1.0tsi is anything like mine then there is remarkably little in-gear engine braking compared to the Toyota. That means there are several hundred metres more free of fuel use available at any braking point.

For final confirmation that the engine is operating correctly then go onto an open highway/motorway and travel a reasonable distance at say 110kph and the average consumption should be around 5L/100 or so based on others experiences.

If you are really interested in fuel economy it is worthwhile confirming instrumentation accuracy. 

Use a GPS to confirm the accuracy of the speedo, they can be up to 10% optimistic in my experience. The odometer is generally within 1% but I have experienced 5% on one car.

Finally record your consumption for a few tanks and compare against the display.

A Kia I hired last month had an 8% optimistic speedo but the consumption display was actually slightly pessimistic (fairly rare).

Personally, I do let it rev through the range occasionally; I don't want the car to be like my wife's and feel that it's wheezing when pushed above 3k rpm. That's also loosened up nicely over the last few thousand kms. 10k seems to be still early days for good numbers in terms of both performance and economy. 

8 to 15 isn't necessarily enough to really warm things through - take a look at the oil temp and see what happens, though I doubt you'll see what I did this morning - I hit the motorway at 100 and 67C and promptly watched it drop to 60 before the thermostat closed again :o

- Bret

14 hours ago, brettikivi said:

this one has improved markedly over the last 20k kms. 

Thats good to hear. I have a 5 Hour return motorway trip tomorrow and I'll see can I wake this engine up a bit.

Maybe economy improves after the initial break in process.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Other than this I'm loving the car.

14 hours ago, brettikivi said:

this one has improved markedly over the last 20k kms. 

Thats good to hear. I have a 5 Hour return motorway trip tomorrow and I'll see can I wake this engine up a bit.

Maybe economy improves after the initial break in process.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Other than this I'm loving the car.

last tank, including lights both ways, traffic in Helsinki and aux heater - 5.18l/100, 54mpg. More to come, at least one more tank, as there's another full week to do.

- Bret

• 2 months later...

25000kms in, I've been up north today. Ambient of -7 to -12, a couple of rounds on the ice track (got to test!), and otherwise truly poor road conditions gives me a reading on the dash of 4.9l/100 over 8h24, 650km and an average of 78km/h. I'll refuel to confirm. Not bad. 

- Btret

• Thanks 1