Flashing coil light on dash (not brake switch this time!)

Hammett

Hi,

Strange one this. Got in car today to start it (cold start, 1 degC), noticed I'd left one of the small interior light on. Tried to start car, turned over for a few seconds but didn't start. Tried again, still didn't start. After a few more attempts noticed the battery started going. (Slow turn over). So got out my jump starter and connected it up. Turned key, started straight away. Then noticed that the coil light started flashing after about 20-30 seconds. Since then car has started fine all day, but still the coil light starts flashing and doesn't turn off, car runs normally.

I'd noticed during the week (cold morning) that the car struggled a little to start so went and got battery tested, tests came back fine. Battery is nearly 2 years old. I did have a new starter motor fitted a few months back and had noticed a few weeks back that it would make a screeching noise just after starting the engine, not sure if this is linked, but it hasn't made that noise for over a week or so.

Does anyone know what other faults the flashing coil light could indicate. Going to check for codes tomorrow.

One strange thing has just happened though, went to shop, got back in car and fuel warning came on, strange as it has a quarter of a tank left. Miles left in tank was registering 15 with the computer. Over the next 10 minutes this increased back up to around 100 miles as it should be.

Anyone any ideas, thanks in advance.

Car is 110 elegance BTW.

Edited by Hammett

The flashing coil light can also mean both brake light bulbs are blown, or brake light switch fault. You might find that the brake lights are permenantly on causing battery drain. Thats just a guess though. getting codes read is also a good shout as it can also mean a fault elsewhere.