Fuel separation filter for petrol engined vehicles

Minimoke

Do any of you knowledgeable people know if Skoda/VAG deploy any traps or filters in the fuel lines of their petrol engine cars designed to trap water in the fuel that can occur because of the ethanol content?

The reason I ask is that I've recently encountered a couple of petrol engined cars (not VAG) that have become verey difficult to start. This has been diagnosed as being due to water in the fuel which can happen if the ethanol content "phase separates" from the actual gasoline.

Yes there are Fuel Filters on the Petrol Engines.

Ask at the Parts Desk and when told they are Life Long items and do not require replacement, 

just ask for them to go get one, as now some Dealerships fit them at Major Services, as Fitted For Life seamed to have not been a good idea.

UK & Europe has Winter Formulation Petrol not just Diesel.

The Petrol is less Hygroscopic for the winter months, sort of October to March in the UK.

Some Filling Station Tanks might still have Condensation in some Locations, or less busy filling stations.

http://platts.com/latest-news/oil/london/uk-still-buying-winter-gasoline-as-european-refiners-8114744

PS

In the UK where Day & Night Temperatures can vary very much. try to keep yopur fuel tank as full as possible when parking up, 

this allows less surface area of the tank for condensation to form, meaning less H20 in the fuel tank / fuel.

This has applied for ever really and no different now even when vehicles might have plastic fuel tanks.

Edited by Offski

Yes there are Fuel Filters on the Petrol Engines.

Ask at the Parts Desk and when told they are Life Long items and do not require replacement, 

just ask for them to go get one, as now some Dealerships fit them at Major Services, as Fitted For Life seamed to have not been a good idea.

UK & Europe has Winter Formulation Petrol not just Diesel.

The Petrol is less Hygroscopic for the winter months, sort of October to March in the UK.

Some Filling Station Tanks might still have Condensation in some Locations, or less busy filling stations.

http://platts.com/latest-news/oil/london/uk-still-buying-winter-gasoline-as-european-refiners-8114744

PS

In the UK where Day & Night Temperatures can vary very much. try to keep yopur fuel tank as full as possible when parking up, 

this allows less surface area of the tank for condensation to form, meaning less H20 in the fuel tank / fuel.

This has applied for ever really and no different now even when vehicles might have plastic fuel tanks.

If it is a long service item that says to me the filter just deals with any crud in the fuel rather than with any methanol/water.

Thats what you get then,

not like the H20 Traps in a diesel that you could just drain, and if you did not the water could freeze.

Where are they buying this petrol with water content in?  

Complain, take a sample....

Edited by Offski

Thats what you get then,

not like the H20 Traps in a diesel that you could just drain, and if you did not the water could freeze.

Where are they buying this petrol with water content in?

Complain, take a sample....

All petrol you buy now has ethanol up to a minimum of 5%. If and when the ethanol separates from the petroleum you end up with an ethanol rich/water layer at the bottom of the fuel tank. This can start to happen within 30 to 60 days of the fuel purchase if the conditions are right.

Its not a rare occurence but the eco lobby likes to keep quiet about it and the problems it causes. Look up "seperation phase" in connection with bio fuels.

Ive just spent an unhappy few hours clearing this crud out of the bottom of the fuel tank on my bike. Thats whst got me thinking and asking the question.

Yes.  Buy fresh fuel then and use it up dont keep it a month.

http://arnoldclark.com/newsroom/347-can-cars-run-on-alcohol

Millions of petrol engine cars in the UK. 

Pretty rare occurence really is it not?

I see that old unleaded petrol left in jars and the likes going to white gunge quite often.

I see it in old bikes and lawn mowers and the likes.

Not a new issue really.   The answer is fit inline filters then from the tank.

PS

The more ethanol the better as far as i am concerned, 

stuff corrosion and other issues, just run the engine and keep enjoying it.

If Wood Alcohol was cheap enough i would use that.

We used to run alcohol in sprint cars.

I used to have a Mini & a Fiat Uno with water injection into the outlet manifold.  

When Super unleaded first became available we used to buy in February when Winter Formulation to use in the summer at sprints and 1/4 miles.

Hiperflo 250 is worth ever penny, you get what you pay for.

http://vitalequipment.co.uk/carless-hiperflo-12-c.asp

Edited by Offski