Scout rear wiper

Hello folks

Can anyone help me with a minor but annoying problem?

After working perfectly for 5 years, the rear wiper on my Scout has stopped cleaning a large patch in the centre of the rear screen, approx. 6 inches round.

I bought a new blade from a Skoda dealer, but it is exactly the same.

The spring holding the arm against the screen does not seem to be noticeably weak.

Does anyone have an idea why this may be happening, and what I could do about it?

Thanks for your advice

Thanks, everyone, for your replies.

My blades are 16 inch.

I've ordered Silver's Bosch blades from Europarts, as suggested by Mike.

I'll also use WD40 on the hinge, and let you know how it goes in a few days.

and....Merry Christmas to all

• Like 1

Ours does the same.

I think when new, the gap is there until the blade wears down, then it cleans ok.

Got my blade from Halfords a couple of weeks back and it still leaves a 'blank', uncleared section the size of a GB oval sticker.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone, for your help with this.

After copious WD40 on the hinge and spring assembly, plus a new Bosch wiper, it cleans just fine.

I wonder if the Bosch wiper is just more flexible than the Skoda version, so a spring which is weakening with age can press the centre of the blade against the glass better.

Perhaps you should takes your Halfords blade back to exchange for a Bosch version, Rab-k?

• 4 years later...

I noticed that the pressure of the rear wiper arm against the window is weak until you move the blade about half a centimetre away from the window.

1. Removed the plastic bolt cap, cleaned out some dirt and sprayed the hinges with WD40.  Tried the wiper and it worked properly!

2. Replaced the bolt cap.  Tried the wiper and it had gone back to leaving a great big oval bit in the middle of the screen.

3. The bolt cap itself seems to be the problem.  It needs a little judicious trimming / filing, because it gets in the way of the end bits of the arm and stops the arm having enough pressure against the window.

4. Filed a little off in several places where the bolt cap got in the way of the arm.  Eventually this solved the problem.  (I imagine the cleaning and the WD40 helped a bit, too.)

• Like 1