Boot showing as open when not.

Evening all and best wishes for the New Year.

My car is a 2007 MK 2 Octavia on a 56 plate. I've got a warning light on the dash telling me that one of the doors is open, mine doesn't have maxidot so just shows an open door icon.

I've narrowed it down to the tailgate as the rear wash wipe is now disabled despite it working perfectly beforehand. I'm lead to believe that if the tail gate is open or showing as open, the rear wash wipe becomes inoperative.

I've checked the power to the release catch and all is showing as OK.

So, my question is this. If there is a micro switch which is at fault, then where is it situated? Is it within the release motor or inside the hatch itself?

I've also checked for the usual rear wash wipe leak and water ingress to the CCM but to no avail.

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave.

Edited by flying pig

It might well be a faulty boot catch/switch but before you dismantle the hatch, check the flexible wiring between the boot hatch and the body. Years of opening and closing the boot takes it's toll on the flexible wring and broken wiring is not uncommon. 

• Like 1

It might well be a faulty boot catch/switch but before you dismantle the hatch, check the flexible wiring between the boot hatch and the body. Years of opening and closing the boot takes it's toll on the flexible wring and broken wiring is not uncommon.

Will do mate, however I've checked the power to the switch and it was ok. I had a bit of a fiddle with it last night in work. I noticed that within the lock assembly that is attached to the tailgate, there's a plunger for the want of a better word, which when I pushed with a screwdriver, extinguished the warning light on the dash.

I gave it a liberal spraying with WD40 but the light remained on when I closed the boot.

Whilst driving home from work this morning (about an hours commute), around thirty minutes into the journey, the door open light on the dash flickered several times before extinguishing completely and remained that way for the rest of the journey. Happy days I thought!

However, this morning the alarm activated and the door open icon is showing on the dash again.

I'm pretty much convinced it's a micro switch within the lock assembly attached to the tailgate which is activated by the plunger 'thingy' I mentioned earlier.

I'll get it scanned on Monday by a mate just to make sure and then I'll see about stripping down / replacing the lock assembly.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Cheers.

Anytime!  :thumbup:

Just keep an open mind, like I say it probably is the micro switch. But a friend of mine had exactly the same issue on his Mk5 Golf (mechanically identical to the Mk2 Octavia). He scanned it and there was a code relating to the boot switch. He replaced it (around £50) and it didn't fix it.......turned out to be a broken wire between the hatch and the body.  Fault codes can be useful but can easily be a red herring where wiring faults are concerned!

• Like 1

Spot on!

I've always found anything to do with 'wiggly amps' to be a complete pain in the rump! It's piddling down here at the moment and I've only had around three hours kip after last nights shift, so I'm not in the best frame of mind to tackle it just now. ;-)

I'll probably tackle it on Monday at my mates garage and I'll let you know how I get on. Funny thing, but he too mentioned the flexible wiring leading into the boot.

Thanks again mate and have a good weekend.

It's piddling down here at the moment and I've only had around three hours kip after last nights shift, so I'm not in the best frame of mind to tackle it just now. ;-)

Very wise. I know that feeling very well, and I personally wouldn't go near a spanner after a night shift! 

Good luck with it.

• Like 1

Just an update re the boot switch.

It turned out that the connector to the micro switch on the lock assembly was badly corroded. One of the pins within the connector was totally broken and the others corroded.

Going to have to replace the connector as well as the boot lock assembly. Not too big a job to get it sorted.

Booke23, thanks for your input mate, appreciate it.

• Like 1