Windscreen rust repair to stop leak

Hi everyone, I am going to attempt the windscreen repair soon as I presume it is rust around the surround lifting the seal and causing the leak.

my question is can I remove the screen and refit the seal or should I smash it through and pay the £75 replacement excess?

thanks

The screen should be removable without smashing it. Skoda didn't use any kind of sealant at the factory. The rubber seal should technically be reusable but you would be easier to cut it and buy a new one. Should be about £20 from a dealer (if they have any). Use plenty of soapy water if you choose not to cut it.

• Like 1

The age of the seal is the core of the problem. The rust behind it is an effect. Reusing the seal doesn't make sense. Smashing the windscreen is equally absurd, unless you plan to buy a new one on purpose.

21 hours ago, RicardoM said:

The age of the seal is the core of the problem. The rust behind it is an effect. Reusing the seal doesn't make sense. Smashing the windscreen is equally absurd, unless you plan to buy a new one on purpose.

Yes that's why I said; "technically reusable." Although its not a good idea, if you were stuck, you could. A nice new replacement is obviously the best choice. And if fitted well (and all the rust is dealt with appropriately) you shouldn't need to use anything else (sealant etc). 

On 2/10/2017 at 22:54, HeavyMetalRich said:

And if fitted well (and all the rust is dealt with appropriately) you shouldn't need to use anything else (sealant etc). 

Skoda put sealant from factory.

138.jpg

• Like 1

No problem Rich. The more helpful members the better.

Here is a typical situation under the seal. Things can get more serious though. The hole you see in the frame is not from corrosion. It is the left side drainage hole.

YJEMHey.jpg

Edited by RicardoM
  • Like 1

My windscreen is leaking too, so I'd be interested to see how you fix yours!  I have tried resealing along the bottom edge with some windscreen sealant, but water is still getting inside the seal from somewhere else and entering the car through those drain holes I think.  

21 hours ago, areed said:

My windscreen is leaking too, so I'd be interested to see how you fix yours!  I have tried resealing along the bottom edge with some windscreen sealant, but water is still getting inside the seal from somewhere else and entering the car through those drain holes I think.  

The drain holes exit under the bonnet so water shouldn't get in that way, however, a possibility is that the holes have blocked and the water has overflowed inside the seal. A more likely cause is part of the metal has rusted to the point it's porous or has allowed a hole to open and is allowing the water in that way. Either way you won't know until you get the screen out. Best of luck with it.