Annoying Air Con Issues...

Hi all...

I have had lack of air con for a while now, I've just been lazy over the winter and not investigated, one garage suggested (before checking for leaks admitedly) that it was a bumper off job to change the rad, however, my other usual garage tested it today, found no leaks and topped up the gas. 

Unfortunately, on the run home (20  mins) still no icy cold air....grr. Left it running in the drive and still no luck :(

So, it will go back tomorrow but does anyone have any ideas what may be wrong now that no leaks have been found and it has been re gassed? I want to point them in the right direction if I can.

Cheers.

I've just been through a similar process with mine over the last few months. Bought the car in November seller did tell me the aircon wasn't working. The car was leak tested no leak detected gassed up worked for a little while but soon enough lost all refrigerant. Actually suspected the compressor as it's a common problem but it was a leaking condenser. Through asking my trusted indie mech i found out that usually,  when checking for leaks and regassing, the system only has to hold the charge for 5 minutes. If it does that then the car is gassed. Now imo 5 minutes isn't very long at all especially if it's just a tiny leak. Mine was cold for a little while anyway. If yours wasn't cold at all it sounds like a compressor failure though.

Edited by meaty101

I had this issue on my ancient Vectra. I got it re-gassed with UV dye in the gas, bought a cheap UV torch and the yellow glasses and found the leak in the condensor and also the filling valve. On the vectra the condenser sits in front of the intercooler and radiator so is a common stone chip victim. a new patent part condensor  and a new schrader valve and all was good.

Price wise mine was £200 for the compressor and it was   OE too ! I went for this one  as the garage ordered it so any probs its down to them !

I found them on eBay for £150 and that was a sanden unit  one which is OE from a seller, I actually rand them and spoke to the guy at work,he had a few all branded and new!

1 hour ago, phillip said:

Before you go forking out for expensive new parts, have you checked that it isn't the common loose centre-bolt issue on the compressor ??

That's the Denso units i believe. Sanden compressors break up inside.