RFID Cards for travel

This may be a topic that's a bit long in the tooth now, but I like to know what's causing it.

Did a few bus and tube journies earlier this week using my Oyster 60 + RFID card and came across an interesting effect.

Normally, I keep this card in a wallet with other RFID banking cards and when making the occasional journey on a TFL bus present it face on to the reader when sanctioning the trip - works a treat, never had any problems, leaving the card in the wallet.

However, followed the same  procedure on bus and underground this week, and, as usual, the bus reader was happy with the card in the wallet, whereas the readers on the underground refused to recognise the card unless it was taken out of the wallet.

Any one know what's going on here ? Is this a frequency/proximity related thing or something to do with one system having incoming digital radio signal collision detection and avoidance system and another not ?

Nick

I think Contactless bank cards may be the problem when oysters/bank cards are all kept together.

I have a Privilege oyster card and was told not to keep them together as the readers don't know which card you wish to use, Oyster or contactless bank card and there is a chance you might pay twice

TFL strongly advise not to do this as you can also pay using bank cards and may end up paying for a journey twice (or more with multiple cards in a wallet) 

Says so much on their own support pages. 

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/oyster/using-oyster/card-clash

You need to keep your oyster card separate. TFL can give you an oyster card wallet for it. 

3 hours ago, gadgetman said:

TFL strongly advise not to do this as you can also pay using bank cards and may end up paying for a journey twice (or more with multiple cards in a wallet) 

Says so much on their own support pages. 

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/oyster/using-oyster/card-clash

You need to keep your oyster card separate. TFL can give you an oyster card wallet for it. 

Tap n go in more ways than one!

I haven't used the bus or underground regularly since 2003 - that's pre Oyster card - hence why I asked.

Got a separate wallet for the Oyster on order and have "Clothed" the bank cards in RFID defeat pouches.

The underground readers were rejecting my  wallet on first presentation so I don't think anything was taken from the Bank Cards and the staff were swiping their passes to let me through.

Pity they don't stick a notice with the support page message on the leading edge of the barriers - tourists must have a nightmare.

Nick

Just now, Ryeman said:

Tap n go in more ways than one!

I understand that the other game is to charge for a max rate for  the full duration of journies when the journies start "Off-Peak" and finish during the peak period - possibly just a failing of unsophisticated charging systems.

Nick

In the age of payWave/tap n go, I wouldn't be mixing cards simply because I wouldn't have a clue as to what actually happened.

• 2 weeks later...

Oyster card now on its own  in a separate holder and, on a trip, yesterday, into outer central London, no problems at all either on the buses or the underground.

So it seems that other RFID bank cards were interfering with Oyster card detection but that the system on the buses could cope with that  whilst the underground one couldn't.

Nick