Minimum Service Charge

My Dad has a 14 Plate Octavia. The Car is about a Month out of Warranty. Recently the rear wiper packed in so he booked the car in to his local dealer (despite my concerns that they are untrustworthy). He asked if the issue could be dealt with a bit of good will in mind as the car was so recently out of Warranty. The Dealer in question claimed that there was a minimum charge of £100 (plus VAT) for any investigation work. It turned out that it was the wiper Motor and this was replaced (cost of part, plus minimum charge. Apparently the part was heavily discounted as the car was so recently out of Warranty. I have no idea about costs of parts, so cannot confirm or deny this)

Now, I have a downer on this particular Dealer as they have caused me issues, so I am naturally sceptical of this "minimum" charge. I have a feeling this is just a means of extracting money from someone, but willing to put the question out there for confirmation or denial. Why would the normal Hourly rate not be charged? 

Mist dealers will have a standard diagnostic fee for anything outside warranty. Quite often with any extended warranty you have to pay the diagnostic fee too. £100 plus VAT does seem a bit expensive though.

If you want to really find out if he got ripped off, I was told a couple of years ago that Skoda charge customers approx £50 per hr  + vat for labour, now even based on that out of date info, you could always call up a dealer and as the total price of  a wiper motor and do a very ruff estimate. Spotted for approx 35 on e bay.

17 minutes ago, SimonD316 said:

Mist dealers will have a standard diagnostic fee for anything outside warranty. Quite often with any extended warranty you have to pay the diagnostic fee too. £100 plus VAT does seem a bit expensive though.

Indeed they do, and thanks for the reminder.  In fact this Dealer tried to charge me £40 a pop to investigate two issues whilst the car was in warranty. I got those charges back after help from this forum. 

20 minutes ago, lfc958 said:

If you want to really find out if he got ripped off, I was told a couple of years ago that Skoda charge customers approx £50 per hr  + vat for labour, now even based on that out of date info, you could always call up a dealer and as the total price of  a wiper motor and do a very ruff estimate. Spotted for approx 35 on e bay.

I was working on the basis of around £60-£75 quid an hour. Wonder how long it takes to pop a motor off and put a new one on? I've no problem with Garages making a living, but as I said, I have History with this Dealer. If I can lead my Dad away from them, I will..

Edited by Isocrem

You probably wouldnt be far wrong- A I said the info is at out of date.

Rear wiper - Unclip hatch plastic cover, undo electrical connectors ( Check washer pipe connection),unbolt motor, bolt on new motor, replace electrical connections ( and washer if needed), replace cover.  with the right tools probably around 30 - 40 mins  ( if a slow worker ) ;)  

I assume the dealer knocked off the £100 fee from the total bill?

This is what my dealer does, he charges a flat diagnostic fee and if you then agree to the work they knock the fee off the final bill.