passenger electric window

The passenger electric window switch may be faulty.. The window goes up and down when operated by the driver side switch only.

What is the way to get the passenger switch out of the door, please and the best place to get a replacement

Cheers

GEOF

Edited by mrcrow

I looked in Haynes manual and they had door trim removal that states "Push back and unclip the front of the switch panel". The bigger description says you slide the switch panel to the rear edge of the door and unclip at from the front. Whilst withdrawing the switch panel, disconnect the wiring loom. 

I am unsure if this process can be carried out WITHOUT removing any other parts of the inner door trim as it was a general door trim removal sequence so that will be trial and error! I will scour the manual to see if they have just a specific removal sequence but in the meantime, that may be what you need to do.

Oh: they also state disconnect the battery so...

Edited by mrgf
  • Like 1

BTW, have you tried using the key in the lock, fully lowering/raising the windows. Also, doing that with the drivers side switch? The passenger one might just need resetting. (This is usually done by holding the switch to fully lower the window, letting it stay lowered for a few seconds (Kinda forcing it lower almost) Then raising it up and holding the switch for a few seconds again after being fully raised. They often need this done if say the battery is taken off/disconnected or the doors have had water ingress, tripping out the auto function. The switches can be temperamental anyway.

• Like 1

You could be right. I had the same thing in my previous mk5 golf v. By drivers switch the passengers window worked but not by passengers switch. The safest way to change the switch is to remove inner door. I broke three inner door holders when I fixed the door's wiring in mk2 fabia. Holders cost about over 1 euro for me. It's much easier to remove inner door first and it may be also safer for the switch. Switches body could easily break.  I can't say where you could buy the switch because I live in Finland but ebay would be the place if you know the oem code. Realoem.me could maybe tell you the code..

Edit. It has less work to do if you succeed to remove that switch system withour removing inner door but its more difficult. I  just tried it fast (in case that I could take a video shoot of the removing) but i didn't dare to take switch system off because I feared something would break. Youtube can give something when you search for: skoda fabia window switch.

Edited by okku12
  • Like 1

On 23/05/2017 at 14:27, mrgf said:

BTW, have you tried using the key in the lock, fully lowering/raising the windows. Also, doing that with the drivers side switch? The passenger one might just need resetting. (This is usually done by holding the switch to fully lower the window, letting it stay lowered for a few seconds (Kinda forcing it lower almost) Then raising it up and holding the switch for a few seconds again after being fully raised. They often need this done if say the battery is taken off/disconnected or the doors have had water ingress, tripping out the auto function. The switches can be temperamental anyway.

On 23/05/2017 at 14:27, mrgf said:

On 24/05/2017 at 14:44, okku12 said:

You could be right. I had the same thing in my previous mk5 golf v. By drivers switch the passengers window worked but not by passengers switch. The safest way to change the switch is to remove inner door. I broke three inner door holders when I fixed the door's wiring in mk2 fabia. Holders cost about over 1 euro for me. It's much easier to remove inner door first and it may be also safer for the switch. Switches body could easily break.  I can't say where you could buy the switch because I live in Finland but ebay would be the place if you know the oem code. Realoem.me could maybe tell you the code..

Edit. It has less work to do if you succeed to remove that switch system withour removing inner door but its more difficult. I  just tried it fast (in case that I could take a video shoot of the removing) but i didn't dare to take switch system off because I feared something would break. Youtube can give something when you search for: skoda fabia window switch.

Been away in Kent this week so just had time to reply 

will check out the above 

cheers 

geof 

*** the window excercise to synchronise the movements was a success...

both windows will go up and down at the same rate and open/close fully with the driver's side key....i assume that is what this was to do

however the operation of the passenger window via the passenger's control switch is still not working

will do a bit of investigation to see the easiest way to remove the unit hopefully avoiding taking off the door trim if possible

a'la the haynes method above

thanks again chap

back soon

cheers

geof

Edited by mrcrow

Have you also tried looking at the wiring in the door bellow? I am sure there must be a possibility of one of those being severe too, although I would have thought that would stop the window going up and down with the key. Still worth investigating though.

• Like 2

For instance switches symptoms are that it works only up or down in that door which is faulty. But the window works completely by the drivers door's switch. I think its also possible the switch doesn't work either way, BUT imo its more probable in that case to have faulty door wiring.

56 minutes ago, mrgf said:

Have you also tried looking at the wiring in the door bellow? I am sure there must be a possibility of one of those being severe too, although I would have thought that would stop the window going up and down with the key. Still worth investigating though.

Methinks the door trim needs to come off..and soon

Thanks

GEOF

32 minutes ago, okku12 said:

For instance switches symptoms are that it works only up or down in that door which is faulty. But the window works completely by the drivers door's switch. I think its also possible the switch doesn't work either way, BUT imo its more probable in that case to have faulty door wiring.

See above

And thanks for the post

Cheers

GEOF

8 hours ago, mrgf said:

the door trim comes off when i get the courage to grip the edges

i have taken of a few in my time and they always have those plastic washer things which break...and the slot in holes in the trim rip a bit

but once its back on...no one is the wiser

just a detail....my wife was trying to lower the window as i was trying to raise it to stop her as i want to use air con at all times...since its there!!

does that alter the plot a little

cheers

geof

Try using both again at the same time to rais/lower. pull ALL the way, hold a few seconds prior to letting go and do the same the other way. Down then up., holding a few seconds on each rotation. Might reset.

BTW, love Hayle, very nice part of the country. Paradise park etc. Used to come and see the Cornish Choughs there.

Edited by mrgf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mrgf said:

Try using both again at the same time to rais/lower. pull ALL the way, hold a few seconds prior to letting go and do the same the other way. Down then up., holding a few seconds on each rotation. Might reset.

BTW, love Hayle, very nice part of the country. Paradise park etc. Used to come and see the Cornish Choughs there.

thanks, we moved here a few years ago...its a quiet little spot with 9 miles of beaches....wowoow

we visit paradise park with our grandson and get a return ticket each time...its cheaper...he goes in free and loves those mega big slides in the play area...

there are choughs in the wild down on the lizard as part of a breeding plan...the ones in paradise park come down to the wire fencing and let you stroke their heads...really beautiful birds

so....

i took the skoda down to the local garage and the man there showed me how to get the switch out of the door trim

soooo easy

i took the switch to bits and found its all corroded inside...the previous owner must have left the window open at some point and rain got in...the interior seems ok

so i will be ordering a new switch primarily and hope this will sort out the problem

the harness connections may need a clean up but i am on track now

cheers

geof

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, okku12 said:

Hopefully you get it fixed with that switch!

yes

now i have only to guess where out of loads of places to get the switch from

will try a post on here

cheers

geof

Well done that man!

Yeah, the choughs are right friendly. Used to be Oggy and Ember but I think one passed on and was replaced. They absolutely LOVE attention. First time I saw them, I thought they were gonna bite but they were so friendly we fell in love with them. LOL. 

The passenger side switch is only (?) Around £15 from a main dealer so not worth getting a used one at all. 

I think the main door set for four windows (If fitted) for Fabia and Roomsters is around £40.

Edited by mrgf
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, mrgf said:

The passenger side switch is only (?) Around £15 from a main dealer so not worth getting a used one at all. 

I think the main door set for four windows (If fitted) for Fabia and Roomsters is around £40.

i put the part number on google and it came up with results on ebay

the first says new and from southsea post free...7.95...an after market item

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161731679814

there was another...post free and a bit more...from inverness...i have had problems with stuff from way up there regarding delivery....branded and probably a more oem part

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRIC-WINDOW-SWITCH-CONTROL-BUTTON-FRONT-REAR-LEFT-RIGHT-for-SKODA-FABIA-MK2-/252303159204?hash=item3abe70afa4:g:n1IAAOSwzgRW035I

i dont intend using the windows much as the old gal has good air con...so hopefully the after market switch will do

if not watch this post...in the future

cheers

geof

Edited by mrcrow

I noticed the aftermarket ones may have slightly different graphics to the genuine one, particularly on the drivers door. Make sure they have the auto up/down function, are for the mk2 Fabia etc and I did see one eBay-er who offered a 3 year warranty. Skoda do offer a two year one on their parts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrgf said:

I noticed the aftermarket ones may have slightly different graphics to the genuine one, particularly on the drivers door. Make sure they have the auto up/down function, are for the mk2 Fabia etc and I did see one eBay-er who offered a 3 year warranty. Skoda do offer a two year one on their parts. 

well i hadnt thought of that...when the item arrives i can check that out...

it may not be a problem if the window isnt auto up and down...

will check back in a few days with the good/bad news

cheers

geof

On 30/05/2017 at 21:13, mrcrow said:

well i hadnt thought of that...when the item arrives i can check that out...

it may not be a problem if the window isnt auto up and down...

will check back in a few days with the good/bad news

cheers

geof

it came today...looks like the real thing...fitted ok and worked

window goes up and down auto as well

guess i learned a bit about how economical a skoda is

ps i filled my tank and the trip said...505 miles to go

i did a bit of shopping, two trips about 16 miles round trip via a dual carriageway

thought i would cruise a bit at 80...very smooth

trip now says....530 miles to go...do i ever get to fill my tank again...??

:D

Edited by mrcrow
  • Like 1

They do great on duel carriageways at a nice cruising speed. I get much less when driving slower, with learners behind the wheel!