After running in oil change will this affect the warranty

PaulOzz

I'm picking up my new yeti tomorrow and I'm planning to do an unscheduled oil change when it's run in aprox 800 miles. I would like to know if doing this myself could cause problems with the warranty if should need to claim on the warranty later. I intend to use the oil grade recommended.

Thanks from a newbie

I guess this comes from owning bikes from new and always get an oil change after the run in period. It just seems to be a long interval from new to the first service.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jigger72 said:

Why would you do an oil change after 800 miles? Genuine question

producers declared intervals are calculated to faster kill your car!

first oil change i made on 6 000km(dealer without asking filled long life, 5w30 SynPower XL-III 15€/l)

all next planned on each 10 000km(on second change i asked to use non long life, in papers were 5W40MXL All Climate 10€/l)

maybe placebo(foot changed weight or colder season), but with long life i saved 0,5l on each 100km of 98E (~50€ less on 10 000km)

after each 8 000 engine asks adding 1l

not decided yet when change in DSG, on 30 or 40 000km instead asked 60

On 5/30/2017 at 12:11, PaulOzz said:

I'm picking up my new yeti tomorrow and I'm planning to do an unscheduled oil change when it's run in aprox 800 miles. I would like to know if doing this myself could cause problems with the warranty if should need to claim on the warranty later. I intend to use the oil grade recommended.

Thanks from a newbie

Even in the old days of huge tolerances and crap oil the first change didn't come around until 1000 miles. Now we have engines that have tight tolerances and much better oil. 

22 hours ago, PaulOzz said:

I guess this comes from owning bikes from new and always get an oil change after the run in period. It just seems to be a long interval from new to the first service.

And do the bike manufacturers recommend this? 

If you are on fixed servicing your first change will be at around 10000 miles and leaving it that long will do no harm.

See above.

6 hours ago, MartiniB said:

producers declared intervals are calculated to faster kill your car!

Rubbish! My last Yeti was serviced every (roughly) 18000 miles and when I sold it at over 100k miles it still used NO oil.