Does Maxidot crash like a PC?

Driving along with GreenLeaf stuff in MFD. (I like it). Suddenly Green Leaf replaced by a round analogue clock face showing correct time. I had touched nothing. Pressed CAR button ---nothing.  Radio was dead.  Pulled off road.  Everything in or on the MFD was dead.

The memory panel (the one seen through the steering wheel) still worked and the thumb wheel on the steering wheel still worked.

Quick look in handbook drew a blank.  Drove home parked switched off ,got on PC  found no reference anywhere to a round clock face. Back out to car switched on---everything seems perfect.

Any idea what happened and why? Should I go to dealer to check?

Anyone had this? Is it the start of something big?  What is the clock face connected with? Anything?

Many thanks.

?

Have you been to the dealer yet to ask about the high tick over you had?

Best get your car checked out, battery connections, other connections etc.

?

Which dealership supplied your car and did the PDI?

Odd that you ask about tick over. Are you making a point of some sort ?.  Answer ---no.  Subsequent replies on the thread and elsewhere on the WWW seemed to show it was not so unusual just damned unusual to me.  And I still feel uneasy about it.  Can't do fuel economy any good. I suspect it revs so high because the air-con and engine cooling are putting a load on that needs current or whatever it is called. It hit 33 degrees yesterday and the fan or something sounded like a Rolls Trent 700 spooling up. Sod it -it is a minor point and other aspects of the car are great.  I love Hill Hold -brilliant. I will make myself like stop start if I can but I have doubts--it is just too unpredictable. So I don't trust it.

The automagic gearbox is excellent but I have not explored much of it yet.  Still training my left leg to keep its nose out. I don't see the relevance of the dealer.  They are very big very old and in the Costa Blanca.

I take it you don't know about the clock face mystery.

My green leaf is replaced by the cruise control symbol if my speed is pretty constant yet cruise control is not active d 

That's like a clock with the arrow on top 

Having said that it has appeared with the cruise active when. Car is going up hill 

Can't seem to replicate the symptoms when cruise is on but can when cruise  is off and it's telling me to put it on 

Hope that makes sense I did when I typed it 

HopeImRight,

i asked if you had already been to the dealer because you were mentioning what you thought were issues before you had many miles on the car.

I had no idea you were not in the UK.

Great idea to read 'Owners Manuals' cover to cover and digest, then you see the reasons why stop / start will not function etc, 

how Maxi Dot functions etc.

Going blank is not one of the Features though, and for the shake of a Manufacturers Warranty no matter the kind Dealership you deal with be sure to report issues ASAP so that they are on the system, SKODA's system.

RE 'Clock face'.

An option on the display if you want to have it.

Should not just appear randomly though.

"Does Maxidot crash like a PC?"  (the title of the thread.)

No it should not crash like a PC.

Edited by Awayoffski

awayoffski

Thank you for your helpful reply.  The Swing infotainment module showing a round clock face occurred when both my hands were on the steering wheel and both my wife's hands were in her lap- clutching her money I suspect.  However I have cracked the damn mystery.  The module had somehow turned itself off.  When it is turned off with the knob that adjusts radio etc volume it then shows a clock face.  Not happened again since.

I assure you I've taken the handbook to bed to read myself asleep and it is very densely packed with info in pretty good English actually. It leaves a lot of questions unanswered though---hence the thousands of pages on Google when you search a question.

However I'm puzzled. The Dealer gave me a Spanish handbook and an English handbook.  But I wonder is the English one for UK Spec Fabias or is it an English version of the Handbook for Spanish Spec Fabias.  This should keep me amused for a while finding out. Or failing to find out in my case.

You definitely will notice the engine revving higher at idle when the aircon is on in this heat. My Fabia sounded like a hovercraft yesterday with internal fans and aircon going, and then the engine's own coolant fan going full pelt! Switching off the aircon brought about almost instant quietness (did that just to see what would happen) with the engine fan reducing to half speed and then quickly going off. Haven't particularly noticed any reduction in fuel economy, but obviously, it does use more energy. Glad you are liking your car, post often!

• 4 weeks later...

My Bolero used to crash and reboot from time to time while using Android Auto with my old Samsung S7 Edge. I lost that phone and bought a OnePlus 3T and it hasn't done it as much since then (I'm guessing because the OnePlus only has Android Auto, while the Samsung had both Android Auto and MirrorLink and there may have been some issues there). It would just go black and display the clock, then the Skoda logo like when you first start the car.