Mk1 Octavia RS replica ride height

Hello.

I'm after a bit of advice on what springs I should fit on my Mk1 Octavia RS hatchback replica that I'm about to put on the road. The car is a 2000 model 1.9 tdi GLX, and was completely standard when I bought it.

It's now been fully converted to look the same as an RS: bumpers, boot lid, lights, grill, bonnet, wheels, and even the exhaust back box. I just need the ride height setting up - to look the same, or a tad lower, than that of an RS.

I'm not going down the coilover route again, as I've had 5 yrs of that on my Mk4 Golf GT and I'm sick of bumping around nowdays. A lowering set of springs will be the next step, but do I go for 30, 35, 40, or 45mm drop to get the look, or as I said - a tiny bit lower, than that of a proper RS on standard Spider 17" wheels....?

We do actually have a proper Mk1 RS, but I'm of the opinion that I can measure the gap between tyre and arch all week long, but it won't tell me what spring drop I need to go for to get the look, given age, miles, wear and tear etc etc - if that makes sense?

Any help would be most appreciated please. As I said, I don't want it sitting on the deck, and want it to look as close to the real deal as possible, so sensible advice welcome!

Thank you for your time.

Paul.

Pic attached of the car when I bought it. Not looking at all sporty :blink:

white996farm.jpg

Am led to believe that the RS has completely different front suspension set up to that of the rest of the range, and is unique to the RS. The hub assy is also different. I did think the same at the start of the project, but was told by various techs that it would be far simpler to just change the springs, or springs & shocks to bring it down a bit.

• Like 1

The front shocks fit into the hubs in exactly the same way whether vRS or not they are all 50mm struts. I had standard tdi suspension on vRS hubs, until I fitted coilovers. If you are going for vRS replica then upgrading to vRS hubs and 312mm discs and callipers are the way to go anyway, and all will be available second hand.