improving weak radio signals

dutyhog

I live in an area with weak radio signals - nothing Scottish, and no digital (apart from having a satellite dish). But we can just get N Ireland BBC FM from 60 miles over the sea, although it fades out a lot and we have to swap between 94 and 96Mhz often.  For our boat I've added a 12V signal booster and made a half-wave dipole arerial, and that works well with its Sony car radio. But the Yeti's Bolero is hopeless for tens of miles from home. I find when the signal fades that pressing MAN every few seconds helps a bit, but it isn't very safe to do that.

Has anyone fitted a signal booster or made up a longer aerial and found that it improves things?

Edited by dutyhog
typo

It could be faulty.

Previous car was fine for two years anywhere, then when more than 30 miles South from home the FM just kept cutting out and was useless.

Garage couldn't find a fault though as worked fine there!

Listened to o a lot of recorded music.

I read somewhere that they suffered from corrosion in the roof aerial sometimes?

23 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

It could be faulty.

Probably not - all other car owners here say the same, including another Yeti, Honda Jazz etc.  I get good reception once nearer to Glasgow.

After 13 years my Golf's aerial did corrode, but the three years old Yeti's is still OK.