Apple Car Play

jst_at_home

I got Apple Carplay on our Yeti 1.2 SE L.  On a trip to Austria last summer and last winter, I was most unimpressed with the Apple Maps as a SatNav option and the fact that it seemed data hungry and constantly dropped out.  I also tried Google Maps with Android.  In desperation I bought a Garmin SatNav.

However I have found on a recent trip abroad that, with the removal of roaming charges and the ability to use your UK data plan, it is possible to listen to UK radio and in my case I used an ap called Orange Radio.

So if you're an avid Radio 4 or whatever fan, no need to go without while on holiday.  And the amount of data used seemed quite small!

John

I'd like to find out exactly what amount of data is involved when you used your phone as a hot spot or roaming.

To me it's all a mystery.

For Google Maps you can avoid using data / 3G. You can select 'offline areas' to locally cache a custom area of your choosing.  The downloaded area stays on your device for about a month before being removed. All free.

I did just this a couple of months ago on a holiday in Rhodes. I basically downloaded the whole island. It was brilliant and didn't use any of my data allowance. The places we ended up in our little Suzuki Jimny probably wouldn't have had a phone signal anyway.

Thought I'd share this as it's not an obvious option in Google maps.

Edited by PaveyArk