1.9 Diesel Gearbox Noises

TheVWDoc

For the last Thousand miles or so I've had a clicking/knocking from the front of my Fabia daily.

kinda thought it was a CV joint, although turning at full lock didn't make any noise

The noise is only really evident when the engine is labouring at low speed

Went to the dealer today - they reckon (although haven't confirmed) that it's the diff!

The car has 132k miles on the clock

What are the known issues with these gearboxes?

Are they expensive to rebuild?

thoughts and experiences welcomed

I had a knock but when turning fully left, then as I straightened up, it kinda 'clonked'... Turned out to be the (right hand side) driveshaft, which I think you might mean. I paid around £270 for this and a new wishbone to be replaced. I assume a main dealer will be quite a bit dearer.  I then went and got the tracking done at a very reputable place, rather then just rely on the guesswork of the fitter. £45. I won't even trust Skoda to do the tracking as they will either guess or take it to where I go and charge more on top!

Cheers mrgf

id love it to be a CV joint - however I have a suspicion that, as the knocking doesn’t happen when turning one way or the other (only when you slow the car on the gears) I suspect gearbox

• 2 weeks later...

I am very late to this. But I had the same symptoms. Also a grumbling noise off the throttle at low speeds. Thought CV Joint, Anti-Roll bar, but nope. Diff bearings. Big job, had the clutch done at the same time. Had it done about a week ago.

My car was on 160k miles. Now drives perfectly.

Gearbox refurb was about £500, then £300 labour and £200 for a clutch kit. Ouch.

Edited by pixelated