Blaupunkt iPod Cable

stephenc

Hey,

just put a Blaupunkt iPod cable in my Octavia RS,

hooked to the Acapulco MP52 that I had before.

There's 2 types of cable out there,

1. Denison ICE->Link, which consists of a cradle, cable, shrink-wrapped PCB, cable, Silver converter box (3" x 2" x 2"), more cable and the connector to the changer socket on the back of the head-unit.

2. Blaupunkt official cable, which is iPod adapter, about a 2' cable with small (1.5" x 1" x 0.5") box inline and the connector for the back of the head-unit.

Make sure you get the official blaupunkt one, as not only is it smaller and neater, but it puts the display on your head-unit, and allows more control RE: playlists, pausing etc.

official cable costs

the blaupunkt one is crap. well, unless you hack it. It locks the ipod's own interface and you're forced to control the ipod via your HU. Also you can only have 9 playlists which all map to different cd's as per cd changer unit. First cd is always every song in the ipod.

Now, you have 9567 songs on your ipod and you want song number 5645. You have to scroll through 5644 songs in the first cd to get to it. It's a pain.

I hacked open the blaupunkt harness and cut the data wires essentially turning it to a aux-input + power source to load the ipod battery. Now it works fine as I have controls in the ipod. It required opening the ipod side plug on the blaupunkt unit and cutting the unnecessary wires.

I posted about this into ICE section last year.

- Juha

UPDATE:

I put the official blaupunkt cable in the car yesterday,

the headunit I have lets you put 9999 playlists on it - MD mode.

Bad news - I'm getting engine noise through the speakers.

It's linked to engine revs, and comes through even when I'm listening to the radio and not using the iPod.

Above 3,000rpm the frequency is so high I can't hear it but that's not practical.

I set it up when the car was off, no problems, like Juha said, you can't control it from the iPod but that's not so bad for me.

Rang up Blaupunkt, who told me to shield the cable with tinfoil!

So I'm getting some sheilding from Radionics to try and cover the cable,

anyone come across this before?

- Stephenc

• 2 weeks later...