Brake upgrade questions for 1.9tdi (to 312mm)

bspman

Some questions around the brake upgrade.

I've got a 1.9tdi and wanted to fit the 312mm upgrade to it.

My understanding is I need caliper carriers  - would the mk1 vrs carriers to the job? would these or should I get a cleaned pair? (ebay item 182845641944)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312mm-brake-caliper-carriers-vw-golf-mk4-seat-leon-audi-tt-skoda/182845641944?hash=item2a927314d8:g:ZysAAOSw6VRZ6w70

In addition - I've heard I need the splash sheild / splash guard and there's some kind of bolt I need too?

Then get the discs and pop them on. 

I assume new pads are needed with discs - in which case the ones for the 1.8 VRS should be fine?

My wheels are the 16" ones so that should be ok.

Edited by bspman

You will need to replace the front hubs too, as the 312mm brake calliper carriers bolt to the hub whereas the tdi callipers bolt straight to the hub. I know this as that's what I had to do when I upgraded my tdi brakes to vRS brakes. The brake back plate are different too but they should come with the hubs. I think they fit under 16" rims as the Fabia boys run them under 16's, I had 17's on mine when I fitted mine. I do have a set of 17" vRS spiders for sale if interested? They are in Ford RS Green with Pearl lacquer. There's a set of 5 with the spare being silver and all have good tyres on.

Screenshot (22).png

Screenshot (23).png

Screenshot (24).png

Screenshot (25).png

@bspman I'f I'm reading right you have the PD130 engine, and not an 90 or a 110 in your Octy yes? If so, then you should have the DS3 calipers rather than the FSIII (both types cast into outer faces). If you do, then @simspj is wrong, and you can go to 312mm discs with just caliper carriers plus new discs and pads.

They will still just clear your standard alloys.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KenONeill said:

@bspman I'f I'm reading right you have the PD130 engine, and not an 90 or a 110 in your Octy yes? If so, then you should have the DS3 calipers rather than the FSIII (both types cast into outer faces). If you do, then @simspj is wrong, and you can go to 312mm discs with just caliper carriers plus new discs and pads.

They will still just clear your standard alloys.

Well @KenONeill it was not clear in the description that it was a 130 not a 90 or 110, so therefore the information I gave was not WRONG it was correct for the engine that’s predominantly fitted to the Mk1 Octavia 1.9tdi.  

I guess ken spotted it from my car info on the left ( you can see on the desktop version if the site). Not really visible in mobile.

I made the assumption that brakes hadn't been changed in this model (even though I know a few changes had been made).Thanks both @simspj and @KenONeill for taking the time to respond.

Though not essential - I assume that I'd need/want a new splash guard for the bigger disks @KenONeill

Edited by bspman

• 1 month later...

A bit of a bump.

Looking at doing an all around brake upgrade now.

Am I missing anything on the brakes side?

Full set of disks and pads: ebay item 121771825810

rear splash guards (left and right) (I will be fitting new rear wheel bearings)

rear calipers and carriers: ebay item 312030712194 (from a 2.3L v5 - not sure if compatible)

front carriers: TBC - will probably pull off of an audi TT when I get the arch liner. 

Am I also planning on doing a suspension refresh, but I figure that's a new thread after some research. (new front wishbones, b4 shocks.. top mounts?)