Wheel size - 17in or 19in?

After seeing a number of threads on here over the years regarding what size wheels look best, I took the opportunity when changing my summer wheels for the winter ones this morning to have a direct comparison of two sizes on the car at the same time (well kind of..different on front to back)

Both are official Skoda wheels, 19in Anthracite Phoenix  and 17in Helios Silver, and they do change the look of the car completely. So far not noticed that much difference in ride quality, a little softer and squidgy maybe with the winters due to the bigger sidewalls, but not enough to think that having 19's was ever a mistake in the first place.

Apologies for the poor photos, the light in the underground car park at work is not that great. 

IMG_20171111_120815.jpg

IMG_20171111_122124.jpg

IMG_20171111_123007.jpg

IMG_20171111_123046.jpg

IMG_20171111_122950.jpg

IMG_20171111_123018.jpg

• Like 1

@markytop Well, I know which I prefer. There's an owner on here who has 20" rims and lowering springs. Looks really good, but is a bit too extreme for my, um, OAP lifestyle. You'll have to buy a skinny brush to keep those Phoenix alloys clean!

Interesting pics and thanks for sharing them. Those 19" Phoenix are really, really nice wheels and add something special to the style of the S3 it has to be said.

I think a big part of the visual difference in your pictures is the completely different style of wheel as much as the size. The Helios being much chunkier so the style simply does not have the same impact irrespective of their respective size. 

I would be very interested to see some smaller polished wheels with multiple spokes (e.g. 10) for a better comparison. 

Anyone have any??

p.s. thanks also for the comments re ride quality. I have 18" on mine but have thinking of changing to 17" for a more pliant ride. Seems that would be a waste of money from your comments. 

I test drove two S3’s one Sportline and one SE with whatever standard wheels come on them. Both quite noisy on concrete dual carriageway, pretty much equal actually. The comfort thing I can live with on the 19’s.