Fabia PCP Decision Made

AJR77

It has been over 3 years since my mother picked up the Fabia in September 2014 and has covered 11,600 miles so far. As the PCP was ending in a few months it was time to decide to buy the car outright or get a new one on another PCP.

Apart from a few minor issues with a fluid leak, which was fixed with a new Mechatronic Control Unit. There is an outstanding issue with one of the parking sensor that giving a false warning which is random so can’t be replaced under warranty until it fails completely.

In September my mother was invited to the dealer to discuss her options with a sales person. In preparation I gave my mother a spreadsheet of the equivalent Fabia 3 SEL and Monte Carlo models compared with the spec of her current Fabia. The SEL seemed best value when it came to choose between the two models with the SEL having the best standard specifications.

SE L 1.0 TSI 110PS DSG Monte Carlo 1.0 TSI 110PS DSG      Current VRs Spec
£16,715.00 £17,750.00      

£180.00 Sunset glass     Sunset glass
Front armrest £95.00     Front armrest
£175.00 Sports seats      Sports seats
£600.00 Panoramic sunroof      
Light Assistant £75.00      
Climate control £300.00     Climate control
KESSY GO - £160.00      
Cruise control and Speed limiter £180.00      
£955.00 £810.00     SEL and Mente Carlo To Same Spec

£350.00

£350.00

17inch wheels

£500.00 £500.00     Sat Nav
£160.00 £160.00     Rear Elec Windows
Acoustic rear parking sensors Acoustic rear parking sensors     Acoustic rear parking sensors
£555.00 £555.00     Metallic Blue
£85.00 £85.00     Temporary spare steel wheel
£120.00 £120.00     Sports suspension
Textile floor mats Textile floor mats     Textile floor mats

£2,125.00 £2,165.00     To vRS Spec

£18,840.00 £19,915.00     Total Price of new car

The pricing looked a bit high to bring it inline with her current Fabia specifications.

After speaking with sales person, the value offered on her current Fabia was exactly the amount left on the finance agreement, which seemed a bit of a coincidence. I guess that what makes PCP so appealing to dealers is that most people can’t afford to purchase the car and must take what the dealer offers them, then start a new PCP from scratch, while the dealer makes a good profit from selling the trade-in. Therefore, it made more sense to buy the car outright at the end of the PCP scheme.

So, in the end she is keeping the car with an extended warranty just in case. I’m happy with that as I still like driving it and is so cheap to run.

• Like 3

Good.

That might be their line on the Parking Sensor. 

If it is not failed but faulty then they can get their lazy arses in action and fix it, or replace if that is the fix required.

As was required with the MCU. Had not failed completely but was almost sure to.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

Good.

That might be their line on the Parking Sensor. 

If it is not failed but faulty then they can get their lazy arses in action and fix it, or replace if that is the fix required.

As was required with the MCU. Had not failed completely but was almost sure to.

George ,

As normal email to Skoda UK CS and raise Case No to fix, copy to dealership. CS to get Dealership Service dept.to get their backsides in gear and fix it now.

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, AJR77 said:

It has been over 3 years since my mother picked up the Fabia in September 2014 and has covered 11,600 miles so far. As the PCP was ending in a few months it was time to decide to buy the car outright or get a new one on another PCP.

Apart from a few minor issues with a fluid leak, which was fixed with a new Mechatronic Control Unit. There is an outstanding issue with one of the parking sensor that giving a false warning which is random so can’t be replaced under warranty until it fails completely.

In September my mother was invited to the dealer to discuss her options with a sales person. In preparation I gave my mother a spreadsheet of the equivalent Fabia 3 SEL and Monte Carlo models compared with the spec of her current Fabia. The SEL seemed best value when it came to choose between the two models with the SEL having the best standard specifications.

SE L 1.0 TSI 110PS DSG Monte Carlo 1.0 TSI 110PS DSG      Current VRs Spec
£16,715.00 £17,750.00      

£180.00 Sunset glass     Sunset glass
Front armrest £95.00     Front armrest
£175.00 Sports seats      Sports seats
£600.00 Panoramic sunroof      
Light Assistant £75.00      
Climate control £300.00     Climate control
KESSY GO - £160.00      
Cruise control and Speed limiter £180.00      
£955.00 £810.00     SEL and Mente Carlo To Same Spec

£350.00

£350.00

17inch wheels

£500.00 £500.00     Sat Nav
£160.00 £160.00     Rear Elec Windows
Acoustic rear parking sensors Acoustic rear parking sensors     Acoustic rear parking sensors
£555.00 £555.00     Metallic Blue
£85.00 £85.00     Temporary spare steel wheel
£120.00 £120.00     Sports suspension
Textile floor mats Textile floor mats     Textile floor mats

£2,125.00 £2,165.00     To vRS Spec

£18,840.00 £19,915.00     Total Price of new car

The pricing looked a bit high to bring it inline with her current Fabia specifications.

After speaking with sales person, the value offered on her current Fabia was exactly the amount left on the finance agreement, which seemed a bit of a coincidence. I guess that what makes PCP so appealing to dealers is that most people can’t afford to purchase the car and must take what the dealer offers them, then start a new PCP from scratch, while the dealer makes a good profit from selling the trade-in. Therefore, it made more sense to buy the car outright at the end of the PCP scheme.

So, in the end she is keeping the car with an extended warranty just in case. I’m happy with that as I still like driving it and is so cheap to run.

Interesting what is the trade-in value at the end of the PCP at that mileage.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, vrskeith said:

Interesting what is the trade-in value at the end of the PCP at that mileage.

I can't find the exact number but it in September the Dealer offered around £7,000 with 6 months left to run on the finance.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AJR77 said:

I can't find the exact number but it in September the Dealer offered around £7,000 with 6 months left to run on the finance.

AJR77.

Is she bored with it?

I would extend the warranty ,get it totally fixed ,much more fun than the mk3. Or trade in for a Polo GTI new model due in Spring. or get a new 1.8GTI run out model at cheapness. They should still honour the £7000?

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, vrskeith said:

AJR77.

Is she bored with it?

I would extend the warranty ,get it totally fixed ,much more fun than the mk3. Or trade in for a Polo GTI new model due in Spring. or get a new 1.8GTI run out model at cheapness. They should still honour the £7000?

No she wouldn't bet bored with it because it meets her needs of being a good town car as well as able to do longer motorway trips in comfort.

I get her to extended the warranty especially with the engines issues that could occur. 

I did have a quick look at the Polo and found it was a lower than the Fabia which wouldn't really be as practical.

The £7k was the offer to cover the outstanding finance so this was the lowest offer they justify in giving.

Just now, AwaoffSki said:

Looking in the 'cars for sale' at the 2017 Mk3 Fabia Colour Edition 1.2 TSI with very low miles @ £10,000 it just shows it is a buyers market.

Nearly new car with 25 month manufacturers warranty for 'much cheapness'.

It's hard to understand car prices. When asking for a factory order its impossible for the dealer to budge on a price. But a dealer are willing to sell some pre-registered cars at massive discount. Just shows what the real new prices for these cars should be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJR77 said:

No she wouldn't bet bored with it because it meets her needs of being a good town car as well as able to do longer motorway trips in comfort.

I get her to extended the warranty especially with the engines issues that could occur. 

I did have a quick look at the Polo and found it was a lower than the Fabia which wouldn't really be as practical.

The £7k was the offer to cover the outstanding finance so this was the lowest offer they justify in giving.

It's hard to understand car prices. When asking for a factory order its impossible for the dealer to budge on a price. But a dealer are willing to sell some pre-registered cars at massive discount. Just shows what the real new prices for these cars should be.

Or a discounter like Orangewheels or Carwow,or similar with extra off if following through with a new PCP??

1 hour ago, AwaoffSki said:

The really amazing thing was and is that a Polo GTI 1.8TSI 192 ps could be bought 6 years after the Fabia vRS 1.4TSI or Polo GTI 1.4TSI for the same money or less when they were new.

I remember the Polo 16v (100hp)  being listed in Parkers as being over list price second hand so there is a call for a smaller version of the Golf.

But I can't help thinking that the Polo has always tried to compete with the Golf either in terms of looks or with some choice options almost match it on price.