Electrical problem? (maybe)

All;

My car is a 2009 vRS Tdi CR170 which I have a strange electrical gremlin with that I hope someone may have experienced, or able to help with. For information the car is equipped with maxidot; and bolero unit of which could or could not be linked. Before I have the car investigated, I just wanted to check if this was common and or a quick fix.

1. I noted on a couple of occasions that the maxidot display including the dials; the brightness has been “self-adjusting” so it will light up and dim down of its own accord. When it is doing this its usually for a couple of minutes only – and I cannot adjust the brightness. Then it returns to normal.

2. Again on occasion, I have noted that the climate control display displays on the bolero unit, even when I have not adjusted anything, its almost like it’s a reminder of what the setting is and makes no adjustment at all.

3. Even when the climate is not set to auto (I use it in manual control) if I adjust the temperature it will adjust the fan (is this normal)

4. I have noted that when the temperature drops to below 4 degrees I get the snowflake and flashing maxidot, but I get no “bong” I know the bong works, as I get this for low fuel warning etc (Is this normal? for low temperature)

5. I did some time ago, get a “bong” when I was starting the ignition, and it was found that the boot wasn’t shut properly and had caused a battery drain, now I know the car has had a new battery, and there is no other warning, no battery light – starts fine etc.

I know they are all quite different problems, but I’m not sure if they could all be linked.

Any suggestions thoughts, would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi BearT,

Will try to reply to your inquiries although I may miss something.

1.  The maxidot display including other buttons are not self adjusting regarding brightness. Only when lights turn on they become all lit and only if you adjust the brightness selector it should become stronger or lighter.

I think otherwise it will recall fit a possible problem in the dash controller, but not sure, maybe other member can confirm..

2.  On my Columbus,I haven't ever noticed to show climate controls/adjustments by its own...

Even if it changes by it self (i.e. when in auto) again not anything displayed in the infotainment.

But  not sure why this is happening to your system, though maybe any function through VCDS had been enabled to do so...

3.  Sometimes when you set the temp in the climate , the fun may change 1-2 scales by itself although it may not be in auto.

This may happen when big differences occur between inside (cabin) temp with outside fire example..

It does happen to mine sometimes so it seems to be normal and not problem.

4.  when outside temp falls down  to 4 it's always heard bong notification sound and the snowflake subs for 10 seconds.

This is always that way on mine - not sure why yours does not sound although you hear this in other occasions like low fuel level i.e..

5.  if the boot wasn't shut properly, the maxidot should indicate the backdoor open drawing..

May I suggest to scan your car and let have any errors it had recorded?

This will make things easier though..

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply. The dash I have found out is due to the outside lighting; I think it’s being picked up by the light sensor in the dash - so that’s normal. No issues. 

The fan - good no issues there either. 

Just the bong mistery to sort out. Interestingly; over the last couple of weeks, I got in the car at +2 and i got a “bong” then a couple of days later at -0.5 and no bong. Very odd.