Roll Back and Then Mapping

Lofty79

So I bought this 60 plate 1.2 tdi fabia estate.

Its going well, and good on fuel.

I noticed in the history it had the recall done just before I bought it.

I'm assuming that they probably didn't like what the update did, as he really did give it away.

So on Friday I have it booked in with a guy who came recommended who is going to install the old software that came with the car, as he said "the new software is cr@p" 

Then he is going to map it from there instead, as he says it was far better.

Does that sound like a good idea? 

I'm expecting to end up with a much nicer running car with maybe a few more mpg, and a little more low end usable oomph

Edited by Lofty79

Also I could do with a quick plug in on vagcom just to read ecu number and software number, just so the mapper can get the right roll back in advance to my appointment.

Can anyone help in the vicinity?

21 hours ago, Lofty79 said:

So I bought this 60 plate 1.2 tdi fabia estate.

Its going well, and good on fuel.

I noticed in the history it had the recall done just before I bought it.

I'm assuming that they probably didn't like what the update did, as he really did give it away.

So on Friday I have it booked in with a guy who came recommended who is going to install the old software that came with the car, as he said "the new software is cr@p" 

Then he is going to map it from there instead, as he says it was far better.

Does that sound like a good idea? 

I'm expecting to end up with a much nicer running car with maybe a few more mpg, and a little more low end usable oomph

You've said it's going well and good on fuel...... So why mess with it?

my 62 plate Octavia 1.6d had the update in August and now it seems the EGR valve has failed.  I've been in contact with Skoda uk emissions team, and my car is booked in tomorrow for a free diagnostic check, followed (hopefully) by a free repair.  This is part of http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/dieselinfo/trust-building-measure/. I guess they wouldn't touch yours with a barge pole if you have it remapped!

if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

I get that principle.

However, your egr has in fact failed. They will replace it, but long-term it will fail again.

That trust building is a problem as the way it's worded says something. They will investigate whether it was in fact the update that caused it. My guess would be - they will say it wasn't the update.

Too many reports I'm now seeing, of folk having issues with the update, and how it ran better before.

Mine I received after the update, if it could be running better I'm kinda all over it now.

Remap after to add a little power and limit egr activity a bit.

He has also said that he can restore the update should I not like the old one, however the update is s***e, his words. They are forcing the car to do what it wasn't made too in first place.

Thanks though, I always appreciate a reply, and an opinion, it's good to bounce ideas around as it firms up a decision

• Like 1

On 5 December 2017 at 19:43, Lofty79 said:

However, your egr has in fact failed. They will replace it, but long-term it will fail again.

That trust building is a problem as the way it's worded says something. They will investigate whether it was in fact the update that caused it. My guess would be - they will say it wasn't the update.

Too many reports I'm now seeing, of folk having issues with the update, and how it ran better before.

I'm not sure what you see as an issue with the way the trust building measure is worded... http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/dieselinfo/trust-building-measure/

All i I can say at this stage is that having brought up my problem with Skoda UK on Monday this week, my car is already back on the road with a new EGR valve, a new gasket, a wash and vac, and a lift home & back, around 12 miles away from my dealer.  This is all at no cost to me, despite my vehicle being 5 years old and with over 90000 miles on the clock.

I've yet to find out if my mpg is back to its previous, but so far, I'm a happy bunny.  Skodas response is in marked contrast to my experience with Mercedes/Smart where my wife's MHD Smart had an issue with broken belts, eventually with a catastrophic failure needing a new engine at 31000 miles.  Their response was 'Foxtrot Oscar'....  I think I know where I'll be spending my money next time I need a vehicle! 

Yeah I get that, however your egr failed. And if the updated caused the fail, which it has, it's a known issue, and skoda replaced it, that means that according to the wording, they feel that it failed as a direct result of the update. If it wasn't they wouldn't.

So it will cause it again and probably just outside warranty period. Also the extra egr activity that causes the failure is bad for the DPF and the inlet of the engine.

If you get an elm327 And vagdpf app you will notice that regens are now happening every 200 miles, which is a joke, this will cause oil contamination over time.

It really is a bad effort. 

As a result and comparing the two maps from standard to updated, with my mapper, we saw some late cycle injection that causes more soot and robs low end power, also increased egr activity, this is rubbish work.

So I have had mine adjusted for best running and power without compromising emissions, also egr is now off!!!!

Result is she runs so smooth and lots of wee noises are gone! 

Mpg is up, and idle is undetectable.

DPF regen hasn't happened in 250 miles and it's only on 12grams soot mass which is half the regen amount.

I've now no doubt that the emissions update is killing the cars

• Like 1