Another Electric Window Problem

robgooch

Hi all, I’ve got a 55 plate VRS and I’m looking for some advise on an issue I’m having with my windows on my fabia.

I don’t use the car much and went to put the passenger window down and it was completely unresponsive. Tried operating it from both the passenger and drivers side to no avail. The drivers window isn’t operational either.

This was on Sunday. I went out on the previous Tuesday and the drivers side worked ok. Between Tuesday and Sunday the car wasn’t used.

I have tried a few things mentioned on this forum which I will outline below.

1. Checked both fuses. 46 & 58 from memory, both 25 amp and both in tact.

2. All 4 footwells are dry as a bone

3. Checked 3 out of the 4 multi plugs beneath the rubber boot in the door shut. Removed and cleaned he black, orange and white multi plugs but could access the blue one; it’s cold and dark and I was working by torchlight.

4. Removed the door switch panel and cleaned with contact cleaner too and still no joy.

5. Tried the method of unlocking and locking the car with the key in the door and holding it in the unlock position and it doesn’t do anything either.

I can’t recall whether the window switch should illuminate or not. Neither side does illuminate but the lock and unlock button on the drivers side switch panel does operate the doors, I’m not sure if that’s significant or not.

I’m clutching at straws really. I have no experience with electrics but have a multi meter so if any one can give any advice on what to check and what the readings should be I would be very grateful.

Cheers,

Rob

Welcome, Rob.

Yes the window switches are supposed to illuminate. When I had similar symptoms to yours it was the window swiches on the driver's side.

I’ve tried to do some more research on this issue. Going to get the multi meter out and check the resistance on the drivers side window switch, hopefully that will be the cause of my issue as looking about online no one does an after market window motor.

Genuine I'm afraid mine went about this time last year, no left window or drivers whip the fuses out mentioned and it would work once till switched off, module on the drivers motor controls both fronts, new motor and sorted but £170 lighter, if you order one then get the white door panel trim clips they break off.

4 minutes ago, ituksw said:

White in mine and the o.e replacement were white from my Main Dealer, what ever the colour get new ones lol

Oh right :-)