Essex Roomster newby

BEN99W

Hi

Ive got that excited feeling that always comes with the acquisition of a car. 

Ive just put down a deposit on a Roomster 1.9DTI which I  pick up on saturday. It's done a few miles (75K) but Im hoping the engine and Skoda's reputation for longevity  both foretell of a good few years faithfull service. I bought it to replace a Smart Forfour which itself has fairly versatile accommodation with back seats that fold, recline and slide, but my need for transporting logs, mountain bikes and aging parents (not necessarily at the same time) means I need more room.

I also have an MX5 which has been turbocharged to provide smiles. but obviously it is hopeless at the practical stuff.

Anyway, I have a few technical questions regarding worthwhile modifications and improvements but I'll put those in the Roomster section.

Cheers

Ben  

Hello and welcome Ben,

And good choice, though as you'll see I am biased!

What year and trim is it? (I suspect it might be a 1, 2, or 3, or Scout; think SE and stuff is on the later facelift models, which would likely be a 1.6common rail injection tdi.

Mines's 57 plate 1.9tdi PD in 2 trim, with 87k miles; this engine, if serviced regularly and with the right grade oil, (or better), they go on to hundreds of thousands of miles. I use Millers oils and fuel additive, they do a specific grade just for our PD ("Pumpe Duse", or unit injector) engines; the later 1.6 cars are CR (Common Rail injection system.)

You'll see in the Roomster section stuff that fails, like electric window motor/regulator, and wiring between hatch and body, also essential that the cambelt plus tensioner pulleys and waterpump are replaced every 72k miles, other worthwhile stuff is HID headlights kit (standard are cr..p), LED interior bulbs, rear number plate bulbs, front sidelight bulbs.

I've had mine re-mapped for even better fuel economy (though worth saying that the standard 105bhp is often very conservative; mine was already giving 117bhp pre remap!)

Enough of my waffle, yes, post away in the Roomster section, and perhaps consider waving at other fellow Roomsterites (I often do it, rarely get a response), they and the Yetis are both no longer in production, so endangered species.

Richard

Richard

Thanks. Mine is also a 2007 with trim level 2 (love the unpretentious naming strategy).

What is the purpose of the LED bulbs? Is it just cosmetic?  Can you give more details of your remap?

Cheers

Ben

Hi Ben,

Ford did similar numbered trim levels with the Fiesta Fusion, a taller-body version of the versatile  Fiesta.

See Roomster section for reply re- remap.

The HID headlights kit is because the standard projector headlights are pathetic, useless on unlit twisty country roads, and even the "plus 130" better H7 bulbs don't improve them enough.

The LED cabin light bulbs transform the interior illumination from the gloom of a dingy old-time pub, to more like the brightness of an operating theatre.

Have also done the front sidelights as significantly brighter than standard, and I tend to use them autumn, winter and spring (plus headlights when needed) just to be more visible, a bit like Volvo did with their very bright sidelights way back when, they called them "daylight notice lights", and it meant you had sidelights on all year round, front and back, whereas folks nowadays just rely on their bright DRL's (daytime running light) plus auto lights function, meaning they are bright front, unlit and almost invisible rear, often grey or silver or white or black cars in poor visibility.

Rear number plate lights, also brighter than standard. Haven't replaced the boot light yet, gather it's a bit fiddly but worthwhile.

May be useful to add the year and trim level to your "profile/signature" so members know what specific Roomster variant  you're asking for their help with.

Regards

Richard

• Thanks 1