Losing the diamond cuts on Xtremes

4 hours ago, Czechers said:

+1 

While i accept they can be high maintenence, corrosion on diamond cut wheels isn't inevitable. The Gemini's on my vRS were pristine when it went back to the lease company after 2.5 years and 25k miles. 

In my opinion the Xtremes look best diamond cut. However the 19 inch diameter means there really isn't enough rim protection from the tyres. 

I can understand people refurbing them in black or anthracite because of this, but the factory finish silver Xtremes look a bit naff to my eyes. No offence intended ☺

I think it also depends on the roads where you live - I’m on a new build development with roads like Beirut - potholes, gravel, unfinished kerbs etc.  In retrospect I’d ditch the 19s.  Corrosion wise, I’ve always found it just takes one little chip and off they go.  Maybe Skoda wheels are better, but my previous three Mercs on diamond cuts all looked awful within a couple of years.

but I do agree the silver version is a bit too much for my taste

3 hours ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

To Increase rim protection when my 19" tyres need changing I'm going to fit 235/35/19",s. A little bit more rim protection and in some cases tyres are a bit cheaper

Yep, me too when I do them in the next month or so

17 minutes ago, VRSventurer said:

I think it also depends on the roads where you live - I’m on a new build development with roads like Beirut - potholes, gravel, unfinished kerbs etc.  In retrospect I’d ditch the 19s.  Corrosion wise, I’ve always found it just takes one little chip and off they go.  Maybe Skoda wheels are better, but my previous three Mercs on diamond cuts all looked awful within a couple of years.

but I do agree the silver version is a bit too much for my taste

I do agree if you're on a building site then that certainly won't help. I work in construction so I drive on my fair share of rubbish surfaces. This is mainly why I give the Xtremes miss. I think they do look great with the diamond cut finish, but the worse ride quality, more expensive tyres and vulnerability to kerbing made them completely impractical for my circumstances. The Gemini's are a bit more forgiving in all these regards. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VRSventurer said:

Bumping an old thread as I finally got it done when wheel no3 succumbed...  This is how they look in Anthracite with no diamond cuts, done via the smart repairer at my local Skoda dealer 

60EC26F8-23C2-46AE-9DB8-2FC39430BE02.jpeg

AFC92B06-B023-4B0B-B04E-E751BAF41349.jpeg

I like these a lot and think this might be the shout for me too - Mrs Dunc does love a kerb! 

Top work @VRSventurer

• Like 1