Tried a 1.0 TSi 95 PS

skidpan

Whilst the Superb was in for service I requested a Fabia as a loan car since we are considering one as the wifes next car. Said that a 1.0 TSi 110PS estate with the standard 15 inch wheels would be our most likely spec and they said they would do their best. Suspected it go all wrong when they rang 2 days later asking when we wanted the test drive in the Karoq!!!!

Well they got the Fabia bit right and the 1.0 TSI bit right but it was a 95 PS hatch with 16" wheels, not a great start. Believe it or not the chap I spoke too had not passed on my request other than the Fabia bit.

Took it on our usual test drive route and was very impressed. Plenty of pull from the 95 PS engine (had done about 4500 miles) and even on the 45 profile 16" wheels the ride was surprisingly good even on the bumpy roads of the Derbyshire Peak. Being loaned the hatch has probably saved us money as well, found that the MIL's wheelchair fits nicely in the boot, no need for the estate.

Plan to drive a 110 PS over the weekend, found some pre reg stripy cars locally. Then its back to do a deal and the inevitable wait for a factory order.

And I know about the update later in the year, not bothered one bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jpxdude said:

Looking forward to your opinion on the 110 PS.

Still liked it but the comparison was difficult. As I said above I drove the 95 over various roads for about 50 miles, I got a good impression of it. Only got to drive the 110 on a Friday pm on the outskirts of the city. It would have been a 4 mile test drive at 30mph max if I had not asked to go further. Got anther 5 miles and managed to get up to 50mph yippppeeee. The 95 had 4500 miles on it and was bedded in, the 110 had under 10 miles on it and was tight.

For the small extra cost I will be getting the 110, even if the performance was not much better I miss the 6 speed box when I drive the wifes car.

Seeing salesman on Wednesday hopefully to do a deal.

Nice one!

I'm picking up my SEL TSI 110 PS tomorrow afternoon, and glad to hear opinions on the drive.  I did test drive the 110 a month ago, and was pleasantly surprised at the pull.  It was a fun drive.  Thanks for the input, and good luck on your next purchase :)

• Like 1

Picking up a SEL TSI 110 Hatch on 2nd March (hopefully) in race blue. Down sizing fron my current Octavia 1.4 TSI hatch.

Test drove the Fabia on both town and dual roads and was happy with the result. Have previously owned a 1.2 TSI Fabia and the 1.0 TSI seemed up to the mark, no doubt time will tell.

Have to say the Octavia has been a dream and the engine one of the best I've driven on all counts. 

However size matters and looking forward to the smaller Fabia again.

• Like 1

I couldn’t justify the additional £1k the 110ps would have cost me on top of my requirements on spec.

So as this the family runabout rather than the main family car it had to be the 95ps. To be fair driving the current Fabia S 60ps to the dealer and jumping into the 95ps for a road test I got less than 100 metres before I had to loudly say “wow”.

The difference is chalk and cheese. I love my Fabia S, but I have to scream it’s little “nuts” off to keep up with daily traffic. It’s fine with just the driver but, stick a boot full of shopping in it, a full tank of fuel, an adult passenger and a child and it becomes considerably woeful and is actually quite dangerous to drive about with every day.

I’m really looking forward to my 1.0 Tsi 95ps in March/April, in fact it cannot come quick enough, so I can pull out of a junction and think, “yes! I can make this”.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pumatron said:

I couldn’t justify the additional £1k the 110ps would have cost me on top of my requirements on spec.

Its not £1000 extra for the 110PS model. its £650. That is little more than a fancy paint job and I know where my preferences are.

Each to their own but in fairness anything is going to be an improvement over a modern heavyish small car with 60 PS. Remember that the Fabia is slightly bigger than a Mk 2 Golf and that was much lighter. With 75 PS my dads was pretty slow.

On 20/02/2018 at 08:14, skidpan said:

Its not £1000 extra for the 110PS model. its £650. That is little more than a fancy paint job and I know where my preferences are.

Each to their own but in fairness anything is going to be an improvement over a modern heavyish small car with 60 PS. Remember that the Fabia is slightly bigger than a Mk 2 Golf and that was much lighter. With 75 PS my dads was pretty slow.

It is £1000 for me, as the Fabia I wanted was color edition and that is not available with 110 ps. So no “fancy paint job”, as it comes with the model. 

Considering I wanted a more powerful second hand Fabia and not new, I’m chuffed to be getting a new Fabia with 35 ps more for such a tiny outlay each month. 

Remember this is a second car and not my main car. 

A couple of extra years warranty, spare wheel and front parking sensors is more of a priority for me as this car is to be driven by the whole family and is a long term keeper. 

So that means my priorities didn’t lay on the 15ps more and cost and downgrade of spec to make it achievable. :)

The 60ps is a cracking car, and plenty powerful enough for a driver on their own around town, beyond that and it can struggle a little. My priorities changed after buying the 60ps, hence the need for upgrade, that’s was all!

Edited by Pumatron

Actually I’ve got it wrong, just worked out on my figures. 

It would of been £1261 more to get spec I needed and the 110ps. 

If I’m honest that would of busted my budget for a 2nd car. 

Enjoy the extra power though that you peeps will have with 110ps. :thumbup:

15 hours ago, skidpan said:

SE-L TSi 110 PS in white with Colour Concept (black), rear tints and rear electric windows ordered. Should be here by end of May.

Nice choice, although with those options I don’t think you would be far off of a Monte Carlo as white is free, privacy glass comes as standard, as do the black wheels and black glass roof making nearly an equivalent of colour concept. 

Thats of course if you could live with red and black seats that the Monte comes with (not for me!). 

Roll on May then. :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Pumatron said:

Nice choice, although with those options I don’t think you would be far off of a Monte Carlo as white is free, privacy glass comes as standard, as do the black wheels and black glass roof making nearly an equivalent of colour concept. 

Thats of course if you could live with red and black seats that the Monte comes with (not for me!). 

Roll on May then. :thumbup:

Did consider the Monte Carlo but a few problems with the spec. It had no cruise, no light assist and no climate. Add those bits (plus the electric rears) and it came out at £805 more than the SE-L with all the bits. It might have had a glass roof but we did not want that plus sports seats for the MIL could have been a small issue.

Very happy with what we have ordered.

34 minutes ago, skidpan said:

Did consider the Monte Carlo but a few problems with the spec. It had no cruise, no light assist and no climate. Add those bits (plus the electric rears) and it came out at £805 more than the SE-L with all the bits. It might have had a glass roof but we did not want that plus sports seats for the MIL could have been a small issue.

Very happy with what we have ordered.

Horses for courses isn’t it.

I like the options list (a lot) but common sense has to prevail.

Extra power, or important optional extras.

Creature comforts or Higher spec models, and so it goes on. 

You’ve made the right choice for you, as did I with my choice. :)

Enjoy it!

On 2/15/2018 at 10:38, skidpan said:

And I know about the update later in the year, not bothered one bit.

Hi, what update is that?

We're considering an F3 Combi "Clever" 1.0 TSI 95ps for my wife, mostly an unexpected gift from her father. Bit of a surprise, as she wasn't planning to change cars nor to move to petrol from her current 1.4HDI (in a 2006 Citroen C3) and with my experience of how reliably things break in my 1.6TDI Octavia a VAG diesel really wasn't on the top of our list.

4 minutes ago, RJVB said:

Hi, what update is that?

This one

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/first-official-pictures/skoda/skoda-fabia-hatchback-2018-facelift-price-specs-and-interior/

Simply to sharpen up the looks for a few more years and add a PPF/GPF to the TSi models for the new emission regs.

One things certain, prices will go up and offers will probably disappear for a few months.

More than happy to get the current model.

Thanks.

If we place an order it will be before Wednesday (because of a government "conversion" aid, 2500€ to have the C3 scrapped :( ). There'll be 2 months delivery time or so, but with that aid the car would be just over 12k€ . That sounds enough like an offer :)

I don't see any trace of an exterior facelift on the photos you link to, and apparently the presence of a particle filter will be all but transparent for the user on a petrol engine. That said, if we can avoid it AND avoid being penalised for its absence on the long run (car should last at least 10y) then I'd just as well avoid anything additional that can break.

• 2 weeks later...

Confirmed as build week 19 (w/c 7 May) so should hopefully get it early June. Perfect since the Mrs car is 3 mid June. That makes it about 3 months from order to delivery

• 1 month later...

Ours arrived at the dealer last Friday here in froggyland. Ordered about the same date as yours.

1 hour ago, RJVB said:

Ours arrived at the dealer last Friday here in froggyland. Ordered about the same date as yours.

So much for the 5 month horror stories. Only extras are rear tints and rear electrics so not a huge spec.

• 2 weeks later...

We took delivery yesterday and have put about 400km on her since. An enormous change from the previous 1.4 HDI, even from my 2009 Octavia 1.6TDI . Overall a positive experience, a few naggles we'll have to get used to (non-automatic electric windows, even the basic C3 had that!) and one annoyance we'll have to address (central arm rest which is useless for my wife and thus bothers me (in upright position).