Almost 4 yrs now

Almost 4 yrs now since I bought my 2011 Octavia. I have always reckoned that to lose about £1000 per year on the value of a second hand car is about right.

Paid £6995 for it so now I reckon i've lost over half my money. Trade in would probably be around £2000 only. The 4 years seem to have past by so quickly.

Been looking at other possible motors to replace the octavia but hard to face reality and realise I've lost about £5000 already on the original price and would probably need another £5000 to put to the trade in price for another car.

What do you think are my calculations about right?

So, why do you need to sell it?

We bought our 55 reg Octavia 1.9TDi PD in March 2012 with 93K on the clock. It now has 165K on it, and it flew through the last MOT with no advisories. It originally cost us £3K.

At the moment I wouldn't even consider selling it.

• Like 1

Well I have a 2011 Tsi 5 door and Webuyanycar has just offered me £7k as a trade in, the book price for a Petrol Tsi has went up £750 in 4.5 months !!

im looking to change mine as well as I have never kept a car for 7 years since buying it new, the most I had kept a car was 4 years before this.  It’s mainly because it hasn’t cost me or gave me any bother since new !!

Well the last 2 posts have been really pleasing to read. I have been really happy with the octavia but was only able to get a saloon when I purchased it and really I wanted an estate. Needed a car in a hurry and had to settle for what I could get and not what I wanted.

My hobby is fishing and as I'm getting older, lifting my heavy seatbox in and out of the boot is getting a bit hard on the back these days. Then ther's the 2 6ft rod bags.

Plus there is the Grandaughters pushchair and endless bags of shopping etc.

The Autotrader prices quoted are very favourable as mine as only just done 62,000 miles. Then again asking for and getting are two different things all together in the second hand car market.

33 minutes ago, maverick54 said:

Well the last 2 posts have been really pleasing to read. I have been really happy with the octavia but was only able to get a saloon when I purchased it and really I wanted an estate. Needed a car in a hurry and had to settle for what I could get and not what I wanted.

My hobby is fishing and as I'm getting older, lifting my heavy seatbox in and out of the boot is getting a bit hard on the back these days. Then ther's the 2 6ft rod bags.

Plus there is the Grandaughters pushchair and endless bags of shopping etc.

The Autotrader prices quoted are very favourable as mine as only just done 62,000 miles. Then again asking for and getting are two different things all together in the second hand car market.

You have some good reasons to change then. I would say the petrol second hand market is strong after dieselgate. Was surprised with the value of our 2008 low mile Golf Match hatch 1.4Tsi last year, when written off about 6k.