Engine coolant

Hello was just wondering after a bit of searching what my fault maybe. For the cold spell some mornings I start the car the coolant light flashes and I check the coolant and it will be down a fraction and I only topped it up recently and it's happened a couple times car runs perfect though. It's the BMN engine PD170  (lol funny I've had not trouble at all yet going like a clock for the minute, surprised considering the horrors I hear!) Could it be theradiator or a hose leak or just general usage?, I do know the actual reservoir can go too. Thanks

btw what's the best tyre for a vRS? I've put on Pilot Sport 3s a year ago and wanted to know other people's preferences.

Edited by JacksVRS

The coolant probe can have some corrosion, causing it to think the levels are too low.

I usually fill my bottle a little over the max limit, so a bigger part of the probe is in the coolant. That way, a little corrosion has less effect (more contact surface between probe and coolant)

Dealer will replace the the complete tank. However you can clean the sensor yourself if needed also.

See eg 

• Thanks 1

Had the same problem a couple of years ago. OK since then (I shouldn't have said that !)

On maxidot red coolant warning light comes on. It is the coolant level sensor probes getting a surface on them and showing high resistance. Take cap off header tank and you will see two thick wires going into the coolant. Just give these a wipe or a scrape with a nail file etc. It can also indicate a low anti-freeze concentration, on the last occasion it happened I just drained a little water and topped up with anti-freeze.

Lloyd

thanks for the replies nearly convinced its those prongs must check in the light. I did put a heavy concentration in for top ups and in general to will check those contacts.