Bye Bye 2.0i

I have just traded in the best car I have ever had - my Fabia Elegance 2.0i, bought nearly thirteen years ago in April 2005. It had covered over 126,000 miles and was very comfortable, reliable and a joy to drive. It was my second 2.0i - I traded the old one for the new one after two years. I was beginning to get concerned that something major could go wrong. There was a slight creaminess in the oil inside thr rocker cover at one point - maybe temporary due to the weather, who knows?
I have replaced the Fabia with a one year old Polo Blue GT with 6,000 miles on the clock. The body shape fits in my small garage, whereas new Polos and Fabias do not fit. I would have preferred a new Fabia if it were smaller and if there were one with a bit of poke in.
My Fabia averaged 35.2mpg. Over the last 25,000 miles, the running costs were 26.6p comprising maintenance 4.4p, tax/MOT 2.9p, insurance/breakdown 3.2p, fuel 16.0p. When I write off the cost of the car over the 126,000 miles, it cost 38.1p/mile.
I am expecting another 10mpg out of the Polo on average. Factoring in higher parts and service costs over a ten year life, it will cost 38.9p/mile. Not much difference. The Polo is on £20 road tax (March 2017) whereas the Fabia had been hiked to £240 over the years!
The Polo handles better than the Fabia, of course, but not quite such a comfortable ride. The Polo is noisier in some respects and quieter in other respects compared to the Fabia. The engine is quieter - particularly at high revs - but there is more of a rolling noise from the wheels/tyres/axles. I put this partly down to tyres because it has low rolling resistance tyres and they are also lower profile. There is a noticeable advantage when I take my foot off the accelerator - it just keeps rolling without much slowing down! There is a lot of electrical gadgetry and silver trim on the dashboard. I so much preferred the subdued, all-black dashboard on the Fabia. Then the Polo wheels will be a swine to clean. The Fabia wheels had a simple and easy to clean. On the outside, the Fabia was a Q-car with no obvious signs of extra power. I will probably debadge the Polo.
I have not been coming to this forum recently, but I spent some time here when I first got the Fabia. I hope I can find a Polo forum where the members are equally as friendly and knowledgeable.

• Like 1