fuel gauge

hi i have a 58 plate fabia 105tdi sport, it has the digital fuel gauge which at best is interesting as in goes from say 110miles to a 100miles in about a mile,yes these are mostly local journeys,is this a trait of this type of gauge or is there a fix cheers

The miles remaining readout on the computer is dynamic - it is constantly being recalculated.  It is calculated based on the amount of fuel in the tank and your fuel consumption over the last 30km.

It is not unusual for me to do a few town journeys, fill up the tank and it shows maybe 500-550 miles remaining.  Take it on the motorway at 70, drive 60 miles and the computer now shows 650 miles remaining.  Likewise I do a long motorway trip and fill up - miles remaining can be as high as 750.  My wife then does a few short town trips and it drops to 550 in no time.

I also think the actual "Reserve" Type fuel gauge, (The one that comes on automatically when the fuel light comes on and the fuel as at a certain level) Runs on 5 mile increments.  It will say 70 miles for some time, then drop to 65, for example.  If you drive hard, it will drop more, drive very gently and it might go up again. It tries to give an average distance to travel, based on the given driving style and conditions, which change depending on your right foot!