Does Android Auto take control of the HU?

This may seem like a bit of a daft question but may help with a future spec decision.

On the current generation of infotainment units (Bolero / Amundsen / Columbus), if you are using Android Auto, does it have exclusive control of the infotainment system or can you still use the built in functionality e.g. can I listen to the built in FM/DAB radio whilst getting directions from Google Maps on my phone. Is the behaviour the same across all 3 infotainment units? It seems a bit silly to spend hundreds of pounds on say an Amundsen if I can use Google Maps / Waze on a Bolero and still listen to the radio or play music of the regular SD card.

I have a Bolero in my Fabia. You can continue to play music from the radio or aux, I've not tried USB. Press 'Radio', and it will flip to the page for radio, with your presets etc. Go back to Android Auto and it'll keep playing the radio. The Google voice over will even turn down the radio while it's giving directions. I'm not sure if it'll pause stuff playing off an SD or not, but when using Android Auto it's clever enough to pause my podcasts app but will only turn down the volume for Spotify rather than pausing it. 

You can't use a bluetooth device for streaming however if Android Auto is running, even if it's a different device. But that's not really an issue IMO, as you can play your music through Android Auto. Can be an issue if you're road tripping and the passenger has a newer iPhone or a Pixel 2 which don't have headphone jacks to plug an aux lead into. 

I certainly wouldn't pay a penny for factory nav any more*. My parents have a Rapid with the Amundsen system, and Google Maps is orders of magnitude better than it. Location search and postcode entry in particular. With Google maps you just search for it like you would on your phone- by typing it into the search box. Trying to find Sheffield railway station on the Amundsen was damn near impossible- my parents certainly wouldn't have been able to do it. The one advantage the Amundsen has is that the directions will come up in the MaxiDOT, or if you have a digital dash like in the various newer VAG products, then you can get the cool giant map in the dash cluster. But I wouldn't say that's worth it personally. 

*Unless you have an iPhone. At which point, you've got 3 sub-optimal solutions. 1) Factory nav, 2) Apple maps (yuk), 3) iPhone in a cradle running Google Maps/Waze. Or, just get a decent phone. Never Settle :tongueout:

• Thanks 1