1.5 dsg 4x4

RoystonVasey

^^^ 

What you should do is try a simple AWD vehicle like a Suzuki Jimny.  A car that on the Standard Bridgestone tyres Suziki fitted likes to drift the back end (or 360)

(early ones, no ESP no ABS,  later have though.)

It is rear wheel drive, and you can manually select the front wheel drive.  So easy to just go with what ever on the same tyres and just see the difference.

I have one standard car and one that can run on 4 wheel drive all the time because it has LSD, and Air Lockers. It is good to be able to compare different set ups just changing wheels and tyres from one Jimny to the other.

As to other more advanced or technical systems,  suck them and see because all the theory & science in the world has been done to death.....

Try a 3 series BMW in the wet / cold / snow, Ultimate Driving Machine, 

and then drive a 3 Series x-drive with the same or more power but the same tyres. You will see why so many BMW drivers now have x-drives.

Skoda were still charging extra as an option on some Fabias for ESP until the EU made manufacturers fit is as standard. Not so long ago, 

Mk2 Fabia's. 

Edited by Offski

Ofc, I think nobody is going the debate you that:

Rear wheel drive (the classical) - more fun to drive;

front wheel drive - more practical in the real world.

Since most cars nowadays are front wheel drive anyway, and the karoq itself is front wheel drive or 4x4, I ofc meant that front wheel drive car with proper tyres will be miles better than a 4x4 with improper tyres in really bad weather or road conditions. I myself surely wouldn't buy a bmw with rear wheel drive and no xdrive, knowing I have have to deal with winter.

On 15/06/2018 at 13:20, Agerbundsen said:

Question for JanJan and Nickfrog. Have you ever driven a car with a modern 4x4 system?

Oh yes, if anything I "prefer" old school Torsen to Haldex. But I still prefer 2wd, either RWD for the track (and road) or front wheel drive for family/touring use. 

I am not criticising 4wd per se, I just prefer a lighter car and 4wd brings no benefit to me whatsover, as I don't have traction issues.

I also prefer the predictability of RWD in terms of handling attitude, however slow that makes me! 

Edited by nickfrog

Nickfrog, I agree that the Torsen is a more elegant solution, as it is purely mechanical and functional in terms of handling - except when you completely  loose traction on one wheel, it stops functioning. Audi has gone through a number of iterations in bias ratio and what have you over the years to get the sporty behavior the want on the road. The prevalence of 4x4 German vehicles designed for spirited driving has nothing to do with off-roading, but everyday use. Take an Audi TT as an example - I don't think you would take it off-road, well?

I have no interest or desire for track work, but expect that your preference is more fun.

Ten years with 4x4 Yeti's have proven to me that the Haldex does function well in "ordinary" road situations - acceleration into traffic on a wet road, a little too enthusiastic exit from roundabouts, driving on non-metalled roads. etc.  That they also were superb in the snow (with appropriate rubber) was just a bonus.

I have a test route, which I have used extensively for trying out replacements for the Yeti's. all of the FWD cars have failed the "acceleration into traffic" test, resulting in front wheel stomp form stand-still.

As an aside, the 4x4 Karoq is nowhere near as handy and composed as the Yeti's were, but wins big on space and practicality. Three months in the T-Roc was fun, but too difficult to don and duff for us old-timers, and did not have the practical space we were used to in the Yeti's.

• Like 1

No doubt 4wd road cars are very useful in low traction situations, ie in the wet/snow and up to second/third gear. Beyond that I am probably way too pedestrian a road driver to benefit  (or have I have got decent throttle modulation?). I prefer to just short shift but I can appreciate the virtues of 4wd.

• 3 months later...

Just been over to the dealer to sign my finance paperwork ahead of picking up my karoq in a week or two. He told me that they are phasing out the current dsg on the 1.5, bringing in a new dsg and making the 1.5 4x4. Later this year is all the detail he could give. Interesting though. I'd have been tempted to blow the budget on that!

The pdf document linked on this thread suggests that a 1.5 TSI 4x4 will be arriving at the end of November

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/455706-new-sept-2019-brochure-limited-choice/[/quote]

16 minutes ago, FordFocusDriver said:

The pdf document linked on this thread suggests that a 1.5 TSI 4x4 will be arriving at the end of November

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/455706-new-sept-2019-brochure-limited-choice/[/quote]

http://www.skoda.co.uk/news/fully-equipped-for-off-road-driving-the-skoda-karoq-scout/ talks about a petrol (1.5) 4x4 and at this stage one can only assume such a version will be offered in the UK.  We know the Scout will be launched at the Paris Motor Show next month but what we don't know is when Skoda UK will release pricing details (including which models they will be offering).  Personally, I suspect it wil be the full rage as detailed in the media release.

On 17/06/2018 at 05:13, Agerbundsen said:

I have a test route, which I have used extensively for trying out replacements for the Yeti's. all of the FWD cars have failed the "acceleration into traffic" test, resulting in front wheel stomp form stand-still.

That's why AWD has lots more benefits on-road than off-road. Regardless of road conditions you don't have to think about traction or throttle modulation. If you see a gap in the roundabout, just floor it and you'll be in without any wheel spin. 

On 16/06/2018 at 17:13, nickfrog said:

Oh yes, if anything I "prefer" old school Torsen to Haldex. But I still prefer 2wd, either RWD for the track (and road) or front wheel drive for family/touring use. 

I am not criticising 4wd per se, I just prefer a lighter car and 4wd brings no benefit to me whatsover, as I don't have traction issues.

I also prefer the predictability of RWD in terms of handling attitude, however slow that makes me! 

Depending on car the weight penalty of AWD is only 50-70kg. Unfortunately the Torsen system is unlikely to make it into a Skoda or Seat anytime soon. The default for my X3 is 60% power to the rear and the steering is so natural that I can drive the car with confidence or B-Roads or kick the rear out a bit on on bumpy and broken hair pins. 

My previous car was a 3-Series and I don't miss the wheel spin at all and neither does my other half who like a sense of security. 

Either way I look forward to trying the 1.5 4x4 when it's available as I don't want a main family car without independent rear suspension and the 2.0TDI is a bit too expensive for what I want to spend on a Karoq. 

^^^ What guff IMO.  & i have had plenty AWD / 4x4's

if there is spilt diesel, sand covering spilt diesel, ice, snow, grit or rain on a roundabout the Part Time AWD Haldex or any other AWD can lose traction exactly as a FWD or RWD car can.  Tyres are the contact with the surface.

In the Dry with traction from the front then the rear drive should not be needed, but nice having it if required, as is with a BMW x-drive and the front traction is called upon.

Plenty AWD's lose it at junctions, on cambers and on slippy roads because drivers think the electrics will be keeping everything going where they think they want to be.

First wintry days in Aberdeen each winter are fun, drivers with new cars, all the gear and no idea but a Prestige AWD, on the wrong tyres.

When it comes to reducing speed and brakes, then AWD can make no difference, keeping traction and have tyres rolling and slowing can, but then FWD and RWD's can do that as well.

Edited by Offski

Absolutely. If you can't safely manage traction in a 3-series which is set up for safe push understeer under a modest throttle opening then I am not sure you should be allowed to drive on the public road.

Smooth throttle application of the throttle to modulate traction with a bit of lock in the wet goes a long way, it's a not a very difficult skill, my wife can do it in the M135i.