Marking on chrome around front windows

I've not read any comments specific to the Kodiaq but it is a common complaint on other models, namely the MkIII Superb and MkIII Octavia.

Quite a few successful warranty claims. Some dealers have claimed the use of aggressive cleaners (TFL - Traffic Film Remover i.e truck wash) is to blame, despite owners claiming their cars have only been washed by themselves.

Unfortunately those who had the chrome trim replaced under warranty soon noticed the issue reappeared.

See here...

• Like 1

Unfortunately some dealers still source the cheapest car cleaning products. It is possible they've used an overly aggressive TFR (Traffic Film Remover), otherwise known as truck wash. The cheaper varieties are acidic, the better quality ones are non-acidic.

Check the plastic wheel bolt covers, as these are equally likely to stain if exposed to acidic TFR...

post-53345-0-64632000-1308242950.thumb.jpg.57e7529ce8b4e19e5011f493345abb75.jpg

I am sharing your pain as mine have tarnished too after less than 2 months of ownership.

There's nothing in the manual to suggest to that these are particularly sensitive to any chemicals etc...(I've checked).

I'm going to try a warranty claim and if I don't get any success, I'll see if I can get the trims vinyl wrapped in either chrome or black as I'm sure the trims will cost the earth and will no doubt do exactlythe same thing again in the future.

Whilst they don't make specific reference to not using harsh chemicals, they do make it clear that 'appropriate detergents' should be used...

Capture1.JPG.9c169747b19dac45ca75afdece0877b1.JPG

They then go on to make specific reference to the chrome parts, this would suggest that you should only use 'clear water' (detergent free?) and / or a chrome polish...

Capture.JPG.85a2c88171b08b4c65879b275871122c.JPG

Quite how you wash the car and avoid the chrome trim is beyond me, but either way if they wanted to dig-in and refute a claim I guess they've plenty to fall back on.

Edited by silver1011

I agree silver1011 but the fact that you’re washing your car with what you consider to mild detergents and this happens on a car less than 2 months old is rather disappointing.

i contacted my dealer today and his response was basically “not another? We’ve had a few Kodiaq and superb cars with these issues lately”

I’ve asked him to look into replacement with the Sportline trim. 

• Like 1

Just had a quote for replacement of all the window trims....

£1606.66 parts and labour for Chrome trim

£1520.57 parts and labour for Sportline trim

The above include the £495.00 labour costs for each  fitting as apparently the rear curved trim actually hold in the rear windows and they therefore require  careful resealing afterwards.

:o :o :o :o

On 26/06/2018 at 15:48, Pjmartin said:

Just had a quote for replacement of all the window trims....

£1606.66 parts and labour for Chrome trim

£1520.57 parts and labour for Sportline trim

The above include the £495.00 labour costs for each  fitting as apparently the rear curved trim actually hold in the rear windows and they therefore require  careful resealing afterwards.

:o :o :o :o

Wow that is expensive, how can they justify this when a complete factory built car would set you back just over £22k?!!!  It will be interesting to know if the trims can be wrapped and what cost.

18 hours ago, klinwart said:

Wow that is expensive, how can they justify this when a complete factory built car would set you back just over £22k?!!!  It will be interesting to know if the trims can be wrapped and what cost.

This price includes the trims, rubber seals and the labour.

I'm going to look into the wrapping cost and will write back in a few days once I have the figures.

8 minutes ago, Pjmartin said:

This price includes the trims, rubber seals and the labour.

I'm going to look into the wrapping cost and will write back in a few days once I have the figures.

I'll be really interested to see if the wrapping can be done and cost.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/06/2018 at 21:28, gojoholo said:

WD40!

Keep it off the paintwork.

Hmmm

I couldn’t get a paint mark off the door until I tried a dab of WD40 which worked a miracle for me.