Puddle lights and door lock microswitches

My puddle lights have not worked in the 14 years I have had my 2002 Octavia, a long time ago the passenger door courtesy light failed and I realised it was a lock microswitch problem, put up with it for years till today when the central locking would not release intermittently.

Following the excellent thread here I fixed the microswitch, just needed unsticking and to my surprise found that the puddle light on that (NS) door was now working for the first time so investigated the drivers one.

Bulb was US but no better with a new one, swapped lights from side to side problem still on drivers side, no voltage to light and I believe the lock microswitch is working because the central locking will not lock until the door is closed and latched or if I manually close the latch with the door open, it seems to be working as it should but maybe there is a difference in the functioning side to side because even though the passenger lock switch is working (courtesy light and puddle light working) I can actually  lock the vehicle using the keyfob with the passenger door open but not the drivers door.

So how can I get the other puddle light working after 14 years!!!! - could it be the lock microswitch or something else?

Thanks in advance, this forum is a great reference now the car is getting old and the odd fault appearing and I have the time to tackle long standing faults.

I heard that the wires in the black rubber cover between the door and the body will often break. My lights are intermittent and dependent on how open my door is, which would suggest my wires are nearly shot where the door has been bending them for 15 years. Give it a go.