Have I just seen a pretty good VRs substitute? The new Suzuki Swift Sport....WOW!

21 hours ago, skomaz said:

I've had my SZ5 for about 3 weeks now and have put just over 600 miles on the clock, so it's just about run in at 1,100 miles even though its just 12 months old (it was sat in a showroom for much of that).

I can understand the comments re the looks as I personally can't quite reconcile myself to the Sport.  The front bumper and grill is not quite right for me - but then neither is the standard car with the horizontal 'toaster' grille - the 'sport' grille on the standard cars nose looks much better than both IMHO (and is what I have).  The looks are certainly a grower and it is better in some colours than others.

I can also understand some of the comments re the plastics inside and that was a concern to me initially but, in all honesty, how many times when driving do you sit there 'prodding' the dashboard to check whether it is a soft touch?  The harder plastics, whilst not as high quality to touch are certainly robust and the whole thing is extremely well screwed together.  There is no rattling of any sort from it and no droning either, even on Sheffield's hugely potholed roads that send shudders through most cars.

Space-wise the car is excellent - the Swift is replacing an 8th Gen Civic and, whilst slightly narrower, feels equally as spacious in the front and back, partly due to it's relatively low scuttle and good legroom.  I've had 5 in it without complaint.

I terms of the technology - it all just works!  The radar cruise is brilliant (although it took some initial trusting on my part) and the lane departure warning is unobtrusive but worthy.  About the only thing that I have noticed thus far is the dual sensor brake control, which appears to err on the side of caution and can flag a warning when not needed (eg when weaving among parked cars in an urban environment with speed  bumps etc.) but I'd rather it were that way than any other.  The LED headlights and auto-high-beam are great and work well and the infotainment / sat-nav / radio is good, made by Bosch and has a good sound quality and is easy to use.

With regard to ride it really does ride well and this backs up my understanding that the suspension set-up was developed on and for UK roads.  It isn't harsh, potholes simply being dismissed with a dull thud, but is controlled with good rebound and damping.  The handling also seems a good compromise - it is very agile and the overwhelming impression is one of lightness and nimbleness (much like my Mk 1 MX5).  There is some initial body lean but after that it clings on well and gives good feedback.

The engine is an absolute gem - it's only a 3 pot but there is little discernible turbo lag and power and torque comes in well, with the ISG hybrid element plumping the torque up at low revs nicely.  It's also so well integrated you only really know it's there by looking at the dash display.  It is also much more punchy and quicker than the reported figures and everyone who has been in it has been impressed with the performance from 998cc.  Mid range pull for overtaking is great for such a small engine and, if needed, it can apparently be mapped to around 135bhp.  Current MPG over 600 miles of mostly stop start town stuff with a longer 40 mile or so trips is hovering around an indicated 53mpg - 54mpg.

The controls are also very even and, whilst light, are well weighted and matched.  I got back in the Civic yesterday for a drive around the block and the Swift really is light years ahead!

So overall I think the package I have is superb - a feeling echoed by everyone that has been in it!  if the Sport can better things further then it'll be a cracking drive, although I agree maybe not to everyone's taste if they are looking for squishy plastics and a number / heavier drive.

Swift 1.jpg

That does look a lot like the MK2 Daihatsu Sirion .

Harry

1 hour ago, horkin said:

That does look a lot like the MK2 Daihatsu Sirion .

Harry

If you squint and look through a kaleidoscope maybe...

Swift 2.JPG

• Haha 1

• 7 months later...

i have had 3 suzuki's and 2 of them were sports but the 126bhp version the last being a 2011 the first i popped in an induction kit and lowered it with strut brace and you had the best handling go-kart type car imaginable and it did 134 with 28 stone in it cracking car to drive , now after that they became too dear i paid 10k on a slightly used one and could not justify spending more  and more plus the shape changed too much for me but the car did drive excellent and even in high hills in Cumbria it never stopped or ran out of breath and on a decent run 50mpg easy, I know someone had a 134 one and it only just kept in front of me in a few winding roads near  Wigan , not many drive like them believe me