Fabia Mk1 1.9 diesel - Should I take the plunge?

16 minutes ago, Luke83G said:

Ah ok, I've always used Waxoyl, kept our family Montego Countryman going for 22 years on its original wheel arches!  But will give it a bit of research. Is it applied in the same manner (e.g. lay underneath, spray and get more on yourself...)

Yeah, my parents and grandparents used WaxOyl a lot.  From what I've seen, Bilt Hamber's product seems to out-perform it (if you have a look at the tests on their product page), and also isn't a dirt-magnet.  In terms of application, it comes in a 750ml aerosol (high-pressure, designed to work upside down) that you just spray on in thin coats.  I probably used about 20% of a can doing the undersides of the sills on my Fabia (from the flange to the vertical fold at the exterior - you may want to apply some masking!).  Note - they do 3 versions - S50 (brown, very runny - for cavities), UC (clear, hard, for visible areas - e.g. sills & wheels), and UB ("black", for underbodies)

(FYI, if you've not heard of Bilt Hamber, their products are normally for marine/oil applications, and are ... umm ... "industrial strength")

Edited by martinch

1 minute ago, martinch said:

Yeah, my parents and grandparents used WaxOyl a lot.  From what I've seen, Bilt Hamber's product seems to out-perform it (if you have a look at the tests on their product page), and also isn't a dirt-magnet.  In terms of application, it comes in a 750ml aerosol (high-pressure, designed to work upside down) that you just spray on in thin coats.  I probably used about 20% of a can doing the undersides of the sills on my Fabia.  Note - they do 3 versions - S50 (brown, very runny - for cavities), UC (clear, hard, for visible areas - e.g. sills & wheels), and UB ("black", for underbodies)

(FYI, if you've not heard of Bilt Hamber, their products are normally for marine/oil applications, and are ... umm ... "industrial strength")

Excellent advice - much appreciated. 

I will look into this and have a think about using it.  I like the black rust prevention for the undercarriage as it can also make things look tidier, but I totally get the desire for a clear and harder wearing protective layer for the sills. 

I think the art of rustproofing at home is a dying trend, which given the advances in factory rust prevention is inevitable, however you only need to look at some recent-ish Fords and Mercedez to see that rust can still occur!

18 minutes ago, Luke83G said:

I think the art of rustproofing at home is a dying trend, which given the advances in factory rust prevention is inevitable, however you only need to look at some recent-ish Fords and Mercedez to see that rust can still occur!

If you talk to Bilt Hamber, they'll tell you it should be renewed every 3-5 due to body flex manipulating the seams.  I know it's in their interests to say that to move more products, but they seem pretty honest (e.g. they've told me when I wouldn't benefit from buying one of their products...).  I can't say I've seen many rusty Mercedes (not really looking to be honest), but the Mk 1 Ford Ka's ... A pillar and filler cap, it seems.

Edited by martinch
I can't type...

• 9 months later...