Oil Consumption - MK1 vRS Octavia

I've had a nose around for a similar thread that might answer things but can't seem to find anything. Whilst driving home today I had the low oil level light come on. Bearing in mind I had another car before this that barely used a drop of oil in 5,000 miles or so, but that wasn't turbocharged so I'm kind of in the unknown here personally as I don't know how much bearing it has on the oil usage. I put about half a litre of oil in to get it within the minimum requirement of the dipstick a couple of days after buying the car and have since done around 3,000 miles, those miles crept up on me quite quickly and after getting that light it showed the oil level was about ready to drop off the end of the dipstick. I've put a litre in now to get it back within tolerances but I'm surprised it used that much in that many miles. So my question is, what's considered normal for the old turbo VRS? And should I be worried about the amount it's used? I'd put the oil consumption around 750ml for those 3,000 miles.

Yes I know I'm a wrong'un for not checking it more often :doh:

Thanks in advance guys and gals.

Are you sure you have not got a small oil leak?, cam box gaskets can leak at the back corner and be difficult to easily see, also sump plug seals can weep.

Difficult to say conclusively on your oil consuption without knowing roughly how your driving breaks down - i.e motorways or small short journeys. Roughly what mileage has your car covered overall?.

Thanks for the reply,

I had the car on a lift only a few days ago and I made sure to check for oil leaks so I'm confident nothing's dripping but as you say there could be one or more much slower leaks so I'll have to have a root around the engine bay again to have a look.

The car ticked over 94,000 yesterday and my driving tends to be quite short journeys averaging about ten miles each but I do make sure to give it a run out when I can of about 50 miles every week.

If your car is using that amount of oil and isn't burning it off, or doesn't  sound like a load of nuts and bolts in a dustbin when its running.

Then I would suggest an oil leak slight when cold but as things heat up any gap opens, then, it just dumps it on the road as your going along (maybe its in a area above the oil level when standing).

If the engine is in good order and any leaks only slight ones it should use a minimal / none at all amount of oil between servicing.

I think when my driveway's free I'm gunna have to get it on axle stands and leave it running to see if there's anything leaking. Thanks for the replies guys, I'll let you know in due course what the craic is now that I've got somewhere to start.