Front doors not locking after door card removal

I have removed the door cards (to replace speakers) and having refitted them the drivers door would not open from inside, so I removed the door card again and re-fitted the cable. To test it I flipped the plastic lock catch in the door with a screwdriver, pulled the handle and as it worked, shut the door and used the internal locking switch to lock the car. When I opened the door from inside no issues, but when I tried the central locking neither front doors will lock but the alarm activates, the rears and tailgate lock OK. Have I upset its locking brain and is there a fix PLEASE!! As both front doors have been removed it could be one or both of them that are causing the problem. I have tried locking the drivers door manually which partially works, it cracks open but does not completely release but the passenger doors remains unlocked. 

It is set to open only the drivers door on first remote click.

Thanks....

Update -  forgot to mention that this is in a 2015 1.2 tsi SEL combi and panic over, after a lot of trial and error the problem was insufficient door handle cable movement due to the end of the black plastic sheath being mashed up and not locating into its carrier in the lock. I removed the access panel, stripped off the plastic sheath up to the old insertion mark and that provided enough cable slack to allow the handle and lock to work correctly. Be warned, if you remove door cards make sure the cable sheath is correctly located when refitting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Hi, this was very helpful to identify my problem with the doors locks.  They asked me to replace both locks at the garage and it didn’t sound reasonable that both locks failed at the same time...

anyway, your post really helped to identity the fault,

thanks a lot

Avi

D5B8B220-B54D-4FBA-B8AA-63F78F46FA85.jpeg

9DABF58D-7FE0-41EA-908F-A304FFCA4CCF.jpeg