Octavia II under dash trim

Posting here, as it may be a problem with the vehicle rather than the socket.

This is my second Octavia. I have not been able to get an OBD2 plug to seat and make a good connection in either.

A search revealed a statement that the trim locates on a pin and that someone had to whittle the pin down to get the trim seated correctly. This then allowed the diagnostic plug to fit. Can anyone confirm that this might be the case? I obviously don't want to tear down the inside front of the car on a wild goose chase.

Background: I've just bought my son a diagnostic BT dongle for his VW Golf. I was hoping to test it on the Octy before giving it to him, but couldn't get it to plug in. It does plug in to my other vehicle and connects, but I haven't tried further as it's coded for VAG cars. I am moderately au fait with OBD2, having used both wired and BT connections on a Jeep and range Rover. The Jeep was a nightmare and I was reduced to writing code to send to the port and see the results before I discovered that a gentleman in Estonia had already done it and provided free software and, subsequently, app. I'd do more poking around, but it's teeming down too hard to be kneeling in the path with the driver's door open.

The area around the socket is very tight but has enough clearance for a standardised OBD plug, the wi-fi dongle ones have a larger casing and need an extension cable to fit, this is particular to the Octavia.

I have a cheap dongle one and thought it wasnt working but it worked on another car, if I really forced it, and I mean really force it did connect but all it could do was read the high level generic OBD codes.

The genuine VCDS lead connects with no trouble at all and will find all the lower level fault codes in all the controllers as well as being able to do recoding, adaption etc.

Either force yours, buy an extension or shell out for VCDS, I'm glad I did and wish I had done years back.

Thanks, J R.  I thought an extension cable might do it and I've got one here somewhere, if only I can find it.

TBH, I don't ever feel the need for diagnostics on the Skoda. I just pop along to the local main agent and have always found them good and not too expensive. Unlike the utterly appalling local main Jeep agent who didn't even have a diagnostics tool.  The Rangie uses BMW diagnostics that cost less than the fuel to drive to the dealer, even if I could afford them when I got there.