3 Door wind noise beaten.

tomshep

Hip Hooray! I have beaten the wind noise. You need a lolly stick, a scalpel blade and a roll of rayon loom tape.

I bought the loom tape for £6 online in order to wrap the cruise control harness I had retrofitted. it is a lightly sticky  and furry tape 9mm wide and just the thing for this job.

The wind noise is there because the top of the door seal doesn't sit flush at the back. The big gap makes the car noisy.

Open the door and, holding the lolly stick against the outside of the rubber as a support,  cut a wedge out of the top of the  seal starting 3 cm from the back and ending 4mm from the top at the back of the seal. Cut slowly. Rubber can't be rushed. Check to see that the gap has reduced.

Keep cutting until the back corner is JUST touching the bottom of the door aperture. It will not fully conform to the side window, there will still be a small gap.

Now cut a length of tape about 15mm long and stick it to the top of the door seal on the vertical edge. Cut another 2.5 cm long and stick it to the horizontal edge. then cut one cm long and fit it to the vertical edge and keep cutting and fitting longer lengths to the vertical edge until you have built up a wedge that is 7.5cm long.

When you have done this to both sides, take the car for a test run and revel in the relative silence at 80 MPH. I was amazed. Half an hour well spent.

A square foot of 4mm adhesive neoprene foam cut into 3" squares  stuck in the spare wheel well and around its vertical edges and  in the holes in the boot floor shelf uprights has made a similar difference to the road noise.

It is a different car!

• Love it! 1