Smartlink issue.

PhilAng

Hi after owning my 2018 Karoq for a week now, I'm tearing my hair out trying to connect to Smartlink with my Samsung Galaxy S9. The USB tethering switch on my phone is greyed out and I cannot get it turned on, I'm presuming this is the problem.  Thanks Phil.

I had issues with a third party cable. It might be that some cheaper cables are just for power only - with no data. 

Try your original one and you should be okay! I've got an S9 running Android Auto absolutely fine. 

Connect then hit Smartlink on your infotainment screen (not Media). The first time you'll be asked to choose between Audroid Auto or Mirror Link. Go with Android Auto and follow the prompts on your phone. 

Download Android Auto on your handset first, too. 

On 17/10/2018 at 23:30, PhilAng said:

Sorted, thanks for that.  What other Apps can I use with this?  Is there any control of car functions away from the car?  Thanks again Phil.

Lots of AA compatible apps. Check here:

https://www.android.com/auto/

I use Google Maps and Waze for nav, and GP Music, Spotify, and iPlayer Radio for audio. 

AA itself won't support control of car functions in the sense that the specific Skoda apps do, and they depend on equipment.

Edited by Michael G

On the smartlink topic. The dealer showed me android auto with his galaxy s8 or s9 and it worked. Then I tried it with my Huawei mate 10 and it didn't. I used my original cable. When i plugged my phone in, it did the usual prompt on the phone asking if I want to transfer photos, files, just charge or another 'midi' option. None of them worked.

With a Samsung, which usb option did you select? I am an ex-galaxy s8 user so I remember the phone did give such a prompt when plugging to a PC for example.

11 minutes ago, SizzlingPotato said:

On the smartlink topic. The dealer showed me android auto with his galaxy s8 or s9 and it worked. Then I tried it with my Huawei mate 10 and it didn't. I used my original cable. When i plugged my phone in, it did the usual prompt on the phone asking if I want to transfer photos, files, just charge or another 'midi' option. None of them worked.

With a Samsung, which usb option did you select? I am an ex-galaxy s8 user so I remember the phone did give such a prompt when plugging to a PC for example.

On neither my wife's S8 or my Pixel 2 do we have to futz with any USB setting on the phones. We may have done the first time we connected our phones a year ago On our previous Yeti), but I can't remember.

We just launch AA on the phone, connect the cable, the routine starts on the car screen, we press app (on Bolero) and we're good to go.

This is via a cable known to work with AA, and using the USB socket in the car - not, for example, the 12v sockets and a USB adaptor.

HTH.

Edited by Michael G
entered too soon

3 minutes ago, Michael G said:

On neither my wife's S8 or my Pixel 2 do we have to futz with any USB setting on the phones. We may have done the first time we connected our phones a year ago On our previous Yeti), but I can't remember.

We just launch AA on the phone, connect the cable, the routine starts on the car screen, we press app (on Bolero) and we're good to go.

Thanks. I think the Huawei might not be supported. Found this compatibility site

https://compatibilitylist.skoda-auto.com

Although there isn't my phone model, the earlier models don't seem to support mirror link either. Doesn't mention smartlink though.

13 minutes ago, SizzlingPotato said:

Thanks. I think the Huawei might not be supported. Found this compatibility site

https://compatibilitylist.skoda-auto.com

Although there isn't my phone model, the earlier models don't seem to support mirror link either. Doesn't mention smartlink though.

The Huawei mate 10 is a reasonably recent phone, no? It should be fine with AA. My Pixel 1 from 3 years ago was, although that's not a surprise, being Google kit.

The key thing is that the phone supports AA. If it will instal the app from Google Play it should work?

The compatibility thing from Skoda I believe is more to do with their own apps, but stand to be corrected.

Mirrorlink is an android only semi-dumb mirror app which pre dates the safety orientated newer formats like Apple CarPlay and AA. They are designed so that control is handed over to the car. Mirrorlink simply mirrors what's on the phone screen, AFAIK. Handy for apps not suppprting AA, but not as safe - and perhaps illegal whilst driving?

5 minutes ago, Michael G said:

The Huawei mate 10 is a reasonably recent phone, no? It should be fine with AA. My Pixel 1 from 3 years ago was, although that's not a surprise, being Google kit.

The key thing is that the phone supports AA. If it will instal the app from Google Play it should work?

The compatibility thing from Skoda I believe is more to do with their own apps, but stand to be corrected.

Mirrorlink is an android only semi-dumb mirror app which pre dates the safety orientated newer formats like Apple CarPlay and AA. They are designed so that control is handed over to the car. Mirrorlink simply mirrors what's on the phone screen, AFAIK. Handy for apps not suppprting AA, but not as safe - and perhaps illegal whilst driving?

It is a recent phone yep and Android Auto installed fine.

I could try a different USB cable and a long press on the Amundsen on/off button to restart the system next.

1 hour ago, SizzlingPotato said:

It is a recent phone yep and Android Auto installed fine.

I could try a different USB cable and a long press on the Amundsen on/off button to restart the system next.

Worth a go with a different cable (they always come in for something)  but after further research I fear i may have misled you, if this issue still exists: 

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/android-auto-general/android-auto-compatible-huawei-phones-t3744725

I'd assume being able to run AA on it meant that it would run AA on the car screen, but maybe not. Running it on the phone means you get Waze and the rest  but on the phone - so in a holder I guess.

Apologies. Good luck.

1 hour ago, Michael G said:

Worth a go with a different cable (they always come in for something)  but after further research I fear i may have misled you, if this issue still exists: 

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/android-auto-general/android-auto-compatible-huawei-phones-t3744725

I'd assume being able to run AA on it meant that it would run AA on the car screen, but maybe not. Running it on the phone means you get Waze and the rest  but on the phone - so in a holder I guess.

Apologies. Good luck.

Good you found that - I won't be spending too long trying to make the likely impossible happen. In reality I don't think I'd use it much anyway. Don't fancy plugging in my phone in and out. For the same reason I thought having inbuilt satnav in the early days was the best thing so I could stop carrying my TomTom around. Now I am thinking do I want to keep my dash cam in the car and not take it in and out. Thieves must understand they cost peanuts (mine £30) unlike a £300-£1K phone.

16 minutes ago, SizzlingPotato said:

Good you found that - I won't be spending too long trying to make the likely impossible happen. In reality I don't think I'd use it much anyway. Don't fancy plugging in my phone in and out. For the same reason I thought having inbuilt satnav in the early days was the best thing so I could stop carrying my TomTom around. Now I am thinking do I want to keep my dash cam in the car and not take it in and out. Thieves must understand they cost peanuts (mine £30) unlike a £300-£1K phone.

Sorry it looks like it won't work for you, but I rate AA highly. Aside from the hardware saving it's always up to date, gives a choice of nav, and audio streaming too.

Anything that gets us in and out of Milano without a scratch will do for me ;)

But TBF, its value is less for anyone with nav built in.

5 minutes ago, Michael G said:

Sorry it looks like it won't work for you, but I rate AA highly. Aside from the hardware saving it's always up to date, gives a choice of nav, and audio streaming too.

Anything that gets us in and out of Milano without a scratch will do for me ;)

But TBF, its value is less for anyone with nav built in.

Good point! International maps on Google maps. My wife was just talking about driving to somewhere in Europe!

34 minutes ago, SizzlingPotato said:

Good point! International maps on Google maps. My wife was just talking about driving to somewhere in Europe!

I do like GM but prefer the Waze app (Google product, so supported in AA) because of the "crowd-funded" feature.

In the Yeti it got us south and east across to Como and down to Milan, and due south and west to the Dordogne.

Those days are probably over for us now but in the Karoq they'd be a nice run in comfort.

Go for it :thumbup: