1.4petrol148bhp

Private hire driver fed up of diesels would the superb 1.4 148bhp petrol 2016 be good enough to use doing a lot just just short journeys stop starting like the superb want one but don’t want dpf diesel  problems okey with honest 38 -44 mpg looking for any owners covering 10 -20 ooo miles year petrol 1.4 superb 2016  honest opinion 

3 hours ago, 36134frank said:

Private hire driver fed up of diesels would the superb 1.4 148bhp petrol 2016 be good enough to use doing a lot just just short journeys stop starting like the superb want one but don’t want dpf diesel  problems okey with honest 38 -44 mpg looking for any owners covering 10 -20 ooo miles year petrol 1.4 superb 2016  honest opinion 

It would be perfect. More than enough performance and almost diesel economy. If used only in town for short trips ours drops to the high 30's but overall 18 months its averaged 45 mpg. Since your car would rarely be doing a cold start I would expect that your suggested 38 - 44 would be easily achievable with the truth being closer to 44.

The 1.4tsi is a great engine but the only thing to bear in mind is that the dsg box is the 7 speed 'dry' version which is not so robust as the 6 or now 7 speed 'wet' version in more powerful engines.

The clutch packs in the dry version do wear and I am not sure they are up for commercial standards of wear and tear.

Hopefully high mileage users will be able to report on their real experiences rather than my reporting of some Australian anecdotes I have read.

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

The 1.4tsi is a great engine but the only thing to bear in mind is that the dsg box is the 7 speed 'dry' version which is not so robust as the 6 or now 7 speed 'wet' version in more powerful engines.

The clutch packs in the dry version do wear and I am not sure they are up for commercial standards of wear and tear.

Hopefully high mileage users will be able to report on their real experiences rather than my reporting of some Australian anecdotes I have read.

Just one small comment. Where did the OP suggest that they wanted a DSG/auto in their original post.

"Private hire driver fed up of diesels would the superb 1.4 148bhp petrol 2016 be good enough to use doing a lot just just short journeys stop starting like the superb want one but don’t want dpf diesel  problems okey with honest 38 -44 mpg looking for any owners covering 10 -20 ooo miles year petrol 1.4 superb 2016  honest opinion"

54 minutes ago, skidpan said:

Just one small comment. Where did the OP suggest that they wanted a DSG/auto in their original post.

To be fair, they didn’t say they wanted a manual, either. 

• Haha 2

On 17/11/2018 at 13:38, 36134frank said:

In a word - Yes

Even on the previous gen 1.4tsi manual Superb II with earlier EA111 engine my average is over 45mpg. If I go on a long run this can push up to 50mpg and with urban driving it drops to about 40mpg possibly less in very heavy traffic. The later 1.4 EA211 ACT should be better and probably uses less fuel (lower CO2, warms up quicker and has Active  Cylinder Technology). It'll be quiet as well.

Possibly beware the newer 1.5tsi for now as there are many reports of engine hesitation - wait until the issue is resolved. The 1.5tsi also now comes with a OPF (Otto Particulate Filter) for MY19.

Edited by bigjohn

6 hours ago, skidpan said:

"Private hire driver fed up of diesels would the superb 1.4 148bhp petrol 2016 be good enough to use doing a lot just just short journeys stop starting like the superb want one but don’t want dpf diesel  problems okey with honest 38 -44 mpg looking for any owners covering 10 -20 ooo miles year petrol 1.4 superb 2016  honest opinion"

If the OP is worried about dpf issues with an up to 20k miles pa then there must be an awful lot of short journeys. Lets say 80/20 city/highway use at less than 20mph average and you could be talking up to 1000 hours of driving. In those circumstances even I would be looking at an auto option.

I have rarely read of problems with the manual box and to be fair there are few issues with dry dsg reported in Briskoda.

Australians are used to torque converter autos which means they drive on their brakes or ride the inherent torque drag in stop/go traffic and this is not a problem with torque converter. Similar driving habits with the dry dsg could be a problem and I have heard of VW owners having up to two clutch packs replaced. Some outside of warranty for free because VW Australia are trying to mend broken relationships with customers after some disastrous PR concerning the initial (since rectified) widespread problems with the dry dsg and of course dieselgate.

Most UK drivers can drive a manual and I think handle the 'automated manual' concept of the dsg box better than most Australian counterparts.

I regard the latest 1.4tsi engine and the ACT version are probably classic designs whose life has been cut short by rising emission standards. I'll recommend them to anybody especially with manual transmission but I have reservations about the dry dsg for certain applications.

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 1

I am thinking about manual 1.4 superb petrol 2016 148bhp thanks heard about problems with dry clutch would you think you would get 150000 miles out of engine my jobs are 80/20 in favour of short trips about 2-5 mile thanks for your comments would consider auto but would mpg be worse with petrol

To be honest I have not seen any reports that anyone has taken their 1.4tsi that far in the 5 years or so it has been released. 

Remember In those days the diesel was the traditional goto for commercial use.

I'd expect about 40mpg returns from your journey type as long as the engine is retaining heat and not a cold start each time.