Tailgate Strut Rapid Spaceback

My tailgate struts have failed, so need replacing.

So. 2 questions

1) I can find several on the internet, at widely ranging prices. Anyone have any recommendations of items that they've used successfully,or any to avoid?

2) Any hidden problems/tricks needed to replace them?

Thanks - Richard

Well, I've ordered a pair of Kilen struts. Recommended by my local motor factor who didn't have them in stock but gave me a part number, though in the end I used the part no. off the originals which is 5JJ827550C.

Price does vary dramatically on these for some reason, if anyone wants to know where/how much/did they fit let me know and I'll reply when they arrive and I've fitted them. Mick's garage has a useful video I've found, but they do seem to charge lots.

Edited by RMurphy195

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are interested (there don't seem to be many, strangely !) ...

It is as easy as this video suggests Fit gas struts

Really did take as much time as it took to boil the kettle for the tea, with the little lady holding the tailgate open.

Cost the princely sum of £36.94 inc delivery. Loads of suppliers out there. Kilen 458022, original part no. 5JJ 827550 C.

On 09/12/2018 at 11:23, silver1011 said:

It's unusual for gas struts to fail, especially in pairs.

Were they no longer able to lift the boot lid or were they leaking?

Over time they went from not lifting properly, to not lifting at all and dropping the thing on my head!

No leaks at all.

And I was surprised - I've owned several hatches/estates (Astra's, Cavaliers, a golf and an old banger Fiesta) over the last 30+ years that all had lifting struts, and none has ever failed after twice the mileage(56k)/twice the age(2014) of the Rapid. Says a lot IMHO that the parts are so easy to get, esp at a discount.

Mind you, not as bad a weakness as the old Golf 1.4 - consumed oil at the rate indicated in the handbook (never had any other car do this that wasn't totally worn out or leaking) - with the obvious knock-on effect on the EGR and throttle body. Same car also ate springs! So much for VW group "legendary reliabiity"!

• Like 1

At least they're an easy fix, and not too costly.

Still, as you say, an unusual failure. I wonder if Skoda would have considered a goodwill gesture, assuming the car is now out of warranty?