Glow plug and engine light mystery!

Hello people, 

ive had the dreaded glow plug and engine light appear on my 2011 octavia greenline. Which sent me into limp mode (wasn't far from home)

i was told at the garage it was the lambda sensor which was replaced.

The next day it drove perfectly fine but the same warning lights came up, I then struggled to start the car but eventually started it and managed to get it back to the garage.

ive been told it could be the starter motor now.

anyone shed some light or point me in the right direction with this.

thank you

Sounds like it wants diagnosing properly rather than just throwing parts at it.

Could be a number of things:

Glow plugs

Pressure sensors

Temperature Sensors

Crank/Cam position sensors

If needs error code reading to see what’s errored and work from there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adokS12 said:

When my greenline did that it was the egr valve. :crying:

Ive already had that done, it was showing Lambda sensor. I had it changed.....ran fine for a day, then same message.

then engine management came back on. It’s being sent on for a further diagnostic. 

49 minutes ago, Papfox said:

Damaged or faulty Lambda sensor wiring?

Corroded plug on either end of the cable?

You had my curiosity....now you have my attention.

quite possibly 

I can't swear to it but I seem to recall someone in the past saying that the Lambda sensor cable is a failure item. It's under the car, in the elements, near the heat from the exhaust and subject to vibration.

My guess is that the cable may have an intermittent break or short. When the machanic changed the sensor, he will have moved the cable and may have made it work until the vibration of you driving made the fault present again. 

I don't know but it's also possible there's one or more connectors joining the cable along its length if it jumps loom sections on the way to the ECU.

Edited by Papfox

19 minutes ago, Papfox said:

I can't swear to it but I seem to recall someone in the past saying that the Lambda sensor cable is a failure item. It's under the car, in the elements, near the heat from the exhaust and subject to vibration.

My guess is that the cable may have an intermittent break or short. When the machanic changed the sensor, he will have moved the cable and may have made it work until the vibration of you driving made the fault present again. 

I don't know but it's also possible there's one or more connectors joining the cable along its length if it jumps loom sections on the way to the ECU.

Ok, are there two lambda sensors on the greenline octavia do you know? 

Got it back, the warnings have been cleared and running normal, no engine management or glow plugs lights.

Couldnt be checked as the warning light went out. A load of old warnings were cleared from the system.

praying to the Skoda gods it doesn’t come back but not confident.